1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PEDANTS ANONYMOUS;

Discussion in 'English' started by inky, May 10, 2002.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I'm probably the only one to have looked at today's Mail on Sunday, let alone tried to do any of the 11+ questions. If you happen to look at the English questions, you'll find nonsense in questions 11 to 15, where the task is to use each of five conjunctions in five given sentences.

The trouble is that two of the words given don't get used as conjunctions in standard English!

(The material is supplied by "Bond", which, apparently, is an "Oxford" publication. You'd have thought they would have checked their grammar in an Oxford dictionary.)

2. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

*bumpity*

Speaking of Bieber, the song annoying me at present for its shaky grammar is not by him but by Lilly Wood and the P***k. "You didn't send me no letter" and "when men will be no more" are just two lines from Prayer in C that grate on me. Shame, as it's not a bad song otherwise....!

3. markuss

Can't say I've got anything against double negatives for emphasis. Never have had.

However, spelling mistakes put out for all the world to see do get me going.

Anyone bought a "Lotto" ticket recently?

I have two here that both state: "THANKS TO NATIONAL LOTTERY PLAYERS, COMIC RELIEF RECIEVED AN EXTRA £5M IN..."

(The comma is good, though!)

4. markuss

Very bad error on "Pointless" yesterday. The subject was singing groups with alliterative names. Contestants had to identify them from pictures.
    Two of the four that were shown were "Shakespeare's Sister" and "Take That". Oh dear.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    mindymole likes this.
  5. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

I think we can forgive Armstrong but I'd expect Osman to know better!

inky likes this.
  6. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

I remember Brian Higgins, my first form English master, telling me once that I was in danger of becoming a pedant. I fetched a dictionary, looked the word up, and then confidently assured him that there was no danger of my becoming a pedant, as I already was one (and how I wasn't given detention for that I shall never know :p )

Anyway, now that the shops are clearing their shelves of Christmas cards, they will soon be refilling them with Valentines cards (put an apostrophe in that at your peril) ... and I am reminded of a card I once saw in a shop in late January which proclaimed "Nobody loves you as much as me"!!!

Now, I knew I had many admirers ... but still I did not dare to assume that there was nobody whose affection for my beloved exceeded exceeded their affection for yours truly o_O

7. markuss

Anyone else seen Cadbury's "Mello's" in the shops?
    Do you think they have actually and mischievously invented a "Mello" character to reveal to us when we complain about the apostrophe?

8. markuss

Well done, Ken Dodd for "admitting" he is "proud" of his impending knighthood.
    Why is it a fashion to assume fake modesty and claim to feel "humbled" by plaudits and honours?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

10. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

This from a Treasury spokesman no less:

"There are a number of reasons why there are less children from disadvantaged backgrounds at selective schools".

11. markuss

Ouch.

inky likes this.
  12. inky

inky Lead commenter

double ouch

Hi there, markuss!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Should "Double ouch" have a capital letter and full stop? After all, it's not a sentence...

14. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Into its grey nursery there rushes every day, or every other day, a breathless, preoccupied, excessively dressed, cleverish, many-sided, fundamentally silly, and universally incapable woman, ...

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Quadruple ouch.

Where does that old-style british establishment queenie quotation come from?

16. Dredd0

Dredd0 New commenter

I am being keen and reading lots of books ahead of my PGCE which is due to start later this year - I have to say, I am shocked at how many typos and grammatical errors there are in books about education.

One of the most irritating ones was in Tharby & Allison's otherwise excellent 'Making Every Lesson Count' where 'paring' was used instead of 'pairing'. Shudder. It wasn't alone, either.

What made it worse was that it was in a 'boxed-out' highlighted section, thus drawing more attention to it.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Aha! HG Wells. Not so queenie, then, but very much of its time.

18. armandine2

complete works for 49p on kindle - quality is variable (Wells' apparently)

19. armandine2

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mr inky hardly ever buys anything on kindle. He likes all the free stuff. I'm a bit more extravagant.