1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PEDANTS ANONYMOUS;

Discussion in 'English' started by inky, May 10, 2002.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Don't be ashamed. Come out with your petty points!

3. Shouldn't inky be Inky?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

You're absolutely right, Old Codger, I've been too slapdash with my username.

In future I shall make sure that Inky starts with a capital letter.

A thousand thankyous, fellow pedant!

InkyX

5. "Thankyou" isn't a word - "thank you" is the correct form, and is two words.

6. 006

If P.A. is to be a proper organisation then surely we need a set of incomprehensible rules as to what is true pendantry and what is just plain old picky. I'm sure my writings will yield a number of SPG errors for the pedantmeisters to feed upon.

PS does P.A have a committee yet? Cruet for President I say!!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh dear!

Mavis, you're going to have to give me some harmless job, safely away from the limelight, while you do the honours as president.

Surely a true pedant is as picky as they come, 006. On the other hand, if we picked on every typo....I see what you mean.

Thank you for reminding me that thank you is two words. Using it as a noun, I got careless. Woops.

8. Surely whoops has an 'h'.

As we are Pedants Anonymous, we ought to do things properly:

My name is OldCodger and I am a pedant ...

... and I HATE it when people use 'refute' when they should use 'rebut' or 'repudiate'.

There, I feel better now.

9. Inky; three dots for ellipsis?

10. manfred: is that a semi-colon? Shome mishtake, surely.

11. This is great!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I make no apology for woops, although you're right. I happen to like woops. So there!

13. Oops is acceptable, of course - but not hoops with a silent 'h'.

14. 006

This is top quality pedantry. Surely you should be representing your country in the forthcoming Europeans.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd never say 'What a wopper', Old Codger.

006: in the true spirit of pedantry, I feel duty bound to point out that such an event does not exist. Oh that it did!

16. Or should you wack a welp with a wip???

17. ges

ges

are children still taught about tenses? In the primary school where I work, they learn about past, present and future but not much else. what about the past historic, future conditional et al? when I was young, I was very taken with the pluperfect. I remember inventing the word pluperfection. I couldn't think of an appropriate definition for it but I still liked the word and, for a while, I used it on every possible occasion (probably to general confusion).

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's even better than imperfection.

No school I've taught in has made mention of the past imperfect, the pluperfect, or even of past participles, etc.(though I may be mistaken about participles).

Mind you, I left primary school in 1965 (horrible admission) and although English was 'my subject' I have no recollection of having learnt about tenses on a technical sense. That happened when I started learning Latin - a very different matter from the church Latin I was used to.

I still hate the weeny weedy weaky pronunciation.

19. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Most children do not have a clue about tenses and are hard put to identify which is the verb in a sentence. On any identified word, they will go through the list of 'Is it a noun / adjective / verb?' Forget about prepositions or adverbs. I have a friend who has taught French for 24 years and says she has to content herself with getting her 'A' level students to understand what nouns, adjectives and verbs are!
    I was teaching Spanish a few years ago to sixth formers who already had GCSE French at high grades. After a few lessons of intoducing the imperfect and indicating that we would progress to the future and preterite tenses, there were groans all round and a spokesperson for the group asked why Spanish was so difficult. " Why does it have tenses when English, French and other languages don't?!"

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

Look at the NC requirements for junior school children. There are all sorts of words that they are supposed to know, some of them extremely obscure. Are we blinding them with science at the same time as denying them a knowledge of important basic (sorry about that word) facts about the structure of the English language?

How far should we correct their spoken English?

For example, should we allow them to say 'Can I go toilet?' without correction?