1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pedagogies of RE... Help!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by zm2010, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Hi
    Unfortunately, i have created a problem for myself - i've left my essay a bit too late. I have to hand it in to my Uni in 7 days but I am still doing the reading. I know I should have planned this better and should have really started this a month ago but due to a situation at home, I decided to take a break from doing any Uni work at home for 2 weeks.
    I have to write 4000 words on Pedagogies of RE, where I have to evaluate Grimmits and Smarts pedagogies and assess their strengths and weaknesses. If anyone would like to give any pointers or kindly provide any links (useful websites) or old notes then this would be really appreciated. I find Grimmit's pedagogy hard to get my head around sometimes.

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hello zm2010,

I've just spent a couple of hours researching RE Pedagogy for you on internet and uploaded my findings as a new resource. However it won't help much as it's quite general - not found much yet on Grimmit or Smart - except how to buy their books!

I will look some more tomorrow but have to stop now.

All the best and give me a pm if you like to see whether I can do anything more specific.

3. Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. I had a look online but didn't find anything useful. The book I am currently reading on pedagogies of RE is a little too complex.

Where have you uploaded your findings?

4. durgamata

Here - https://www.tes.co.uk/MyResources.aspx?navcode=472

And I just added a couple more files. I hope it helps. Like you I tend to find 'academic writings' somewhat indigestible. I find that photocopying passages and highlighting the main points can help (if it's your own copy of the book you can just highlight the pages directly but I usually get such books from the library)

Another good trick is to try to re-write paragraphs in simple language.

5. Yeah, this is the problem I have, I just find some academic writings indigestible. The book I have is full of key passages that have been previously underlined but yeah this certainly helps.

I clicked on the link but nothing came up. I will try it again later.

Thanks again.

6. durgamata

The link has to be copied and pasted into your web address. I will check that it works OK. I spent several hours on this research so I do hope you can access it.

7. durgamata

Yes, that works fine. It takes you to my resources page and your research is at the top. You can also paste in

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Religious-Education-Pedagogy-and-the-history-of-RE-6159059/

which is the actual page.for this resource. But I've yet to master the way to link an address directly to the page, so you can click on it here. Until I learn that please just copy the link and paste it into your address bar.

8. It does work now. There are a lot of excellent resources on there and anyone wishing to know about the pedagogies of RE should check it out.

Thanks again, I was reading through most of the links late last night, I still haven't been able to go through all of them.

9. Hello,

A place to start might be science or art? Does Grimmit see pedagogy as the art of teaching or the science of teaching? Then discuss, compare and contrast it with Smarts view.

Am I correct in thinking Smart is a phenomenaligist? He believes in experiential RE? If so what are the strengths/limitations of that approach?

Grimmit's book is very good, but it's also essays so pick out the key essays and read it individually. Grab a pencil and scribble all over it, think about what it says, what it means and why he thinks that. Has he missed anything? Has he made an assumption (is he speaking about learners from a middle class perspective? Does he account for comprehensive style schooling? Does this fit in with your teaching practice?

Hope this helps a little bit! Good luck!

10. I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions. I have tried to take a compare and contrast approach but what I was struggling to get my head around is the term constructivism when looking at the pedagogies of RE. I was under the impression that Smart's approach was influenced by the behaviourist model whilst Grimmitt's was clearly constructivism. Can anyone help clarify this matter?

Thanks

11. Remember being quite fond of the work of Grimmitt at uni.
    Take a very Ninian Smart approach nowadays, though Feuerbach is the "atheist patron saint" of the department...

12. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

13. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

I was taught by Grimmitt at uni! :D