1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pedagogical issues relating to Early Years and phonics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by blue3, Jun 5, 2011.

1. hi
    I was wondering if a kind soul could explain to me what <font face="Times New Roman">Understanding of the curriculum and pedagogical issues relating to Early Years and phonics would be about? Is this the principles behind it?</font>
    <font face="Times New Roman">Thanks</font>

2. LOL!
    I almost think this depends upon who has written this title and what their personal slant is behind it!
    Historically, and currently, there are certainly tensions evident regarding the early years curriculum (according to the world view of some early years advisors) and phonics teaching!!!
    Bit of a fascinating minefield actually!

3. Is it to do with child initiated play and adult directed activities? I am applying for a support teacher for phonics and although i feel i have a good grasp of phonics i am unsure what the above comment is asking of me. :(

4. I'm assuming this appears on a person spec. If I was responding to it I might say something about:
    • The tension between CI and adult directed activities within EYFS classroom and how I would organise the class so that all children engaged with both forms of learning, including when learning phonics.
    • The difficulties inherent in monitoring and promoting progress in phonics within the free choice ethos of the EYFS, and ways I would overcome those difficulties.
    • The way in which I would organise and resource the classroom to give children opportunities for learning through CI activities which could include practising and developing their phonic skills, possibly with examples of what has worked well for me in the past.
    • The approach I would take to giving a good grounding in phonics through focused activities, how these would be organised to ensure all children would benefit, and the opportunities to practise and use skills learnt independently.
    • My experience of teaching phonics and the methods I find work best, including some examples of success.
    • My take on how children learn phonics, linked to child development.

5. I should stress that is just my take on it. Hopefully others will post with theirs. [​IMG]

6. Thank you thumbie, that has helped a lot ure a star!![​IMG]