1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PECS & signalong

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi again
    I'm applying for a job working with autistic children within a mainstream primary. The school uses PECS and signalong - neither of which I have actually used in teaching. Many of the ASD chidlren are non-verbal.
    I've used a system similar to PECS with my son when he was younger, to help him understand the sequence for getting dressed etc (provided by the TEACCH outreach teacher linked to his primary school).
    I also did a BSL stage 1 qualification 10 years ago (goodness, doesn't seem that long ago!) which I'm sure will help me to learn signalong as it's based on BSL signs. The school runs signalong courses so I'm quite happy that I'll be able to pick it up quickly.
    Is there anything I need to know about how either of these work in practice within the classroom? The school seems great, very supportive and inclusive, and I am really excited at the prospect of working there.
    Thanks,
    sparkly

2. Hi again
    I'm applying for a job working with autistic children within a mainstream primary. The school uses PECS and signalong - neither of which I have actually used in teaching. Many of the ASD chidlren are non-verbal.
    I've used a system similar to PECS with my son when he was younger, to help him understand the sequence for getting dressed etc (provided by the TEACCH outreach teacher linked to his primary school).
    I also did a BSL stage 1 qualification 10 years ago (goodness, doesn't seem that long ago!) which I'm sure will help me to learn signalong as it's based on BSL signs. The school runs signalong courses so I'm quite happy that I'll be able to pick it up quickly.
    Is there anything I need to know about how either of these work in practice within the classroom? The school seems great, very supportive and inclusive, and I am really excited at the prospect of working there.
    Thanks,
    sparkly

3. Something I didn't realise about PECS is that if used correctly children will exchange a picture for an item (or a sequence of pictures = a sentence!) I always thought it was used as a symbol system - but not as a complete means of communication - so it is like having a conversation!
    I ask you for a drink (using PECS) and you give them to me!
    I hope you have a great time working there and good luck!

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Suggest you visit here
    http://www.pecs.org.uk/general/what.htm
    for more ideas. If the system is in place, no doubt someone will help you along. You would need to know the level each child is at. Good luck.