1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PECS / PODD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Eclectic_Jellyfish, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Eclectic_Jellyfish

Eclectic_Jellyfish New commenter

Hi,

we have a few new pupils starting our school in September that have used PODD in their previous school. We use PECS in our school. I was wondering if anyone has any preference to either one?

Thanks

EJ

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I'm sure someone who has more intensive knowledge of both systems will be better able to help you than I can. The two systems do have different uses for different communication needs.
    PECS is used to support initiation of requests and is most often used with students who are autistic, or who do not tend to initiate interactions. I have a more limited experience of using PODD but it seems to be more useful for communicating a wider range of things and has a lot more flexibility.
    Just a note of caution. Be very sure before expecting a student to change their communication system especially if you are changing the symbol set (eg widget symbols to Mayers Johnson). It's like asking them to speak a different language or change their familiar grammar.

3. Eclectic_Jellyfish

Thank you @dzil for once again coming to my aid :)
    I wasn’t really thinking of changing any methods for individual pupils. I suppose I was fishing for more info on PODD and people’s uses of it as I’ve never used it before.

4. dzil

http://praacticalaac.org/praactical...young-learners-with-autism-spectrum-disorder/

http://www.inclusive.co.uk/podd-p6023#
    I note that they say the programme requires boardmaker: Boardmaker tends to use Mayers Johnston symbols. Are you using PECS symbols, widget or Mayers Johnson (or something else) with PECS?
    Just be aware that if you have students in your classroom (or in the school) are using different symbol sets it can be very confusing for them when they try to communicate with each other. Unless they have reached a certain level of symbolic competence they will not necessarily understand each other, even when, to you, the meaning is obvious.
    Also remember that you will need to actively teach the meaning of the symbols, just like reading. They are not always obvious.

Eclectic_Jellyfish likes this.
  5. Eclectic_Jellyfish

Thank you! We use PECS symbols.
    There are teachers at our school who are amazing at using PECS and it’s successful with our children. I’m enjoying this continuous learning journey and want to get everything right for our pupils. :)

dzil likes this.
  6. dzil

You will make an excellent special teacher. You clearly care and want to do your best for them. Don't try to do it all at once though. You need to have some time for yourself as well, if, for no other reason than to ensure you are fresh and on top of your game for them. You will also find new ideas have formed as you let your brain relax and refresh.
    Enjoy your holiday. You deserve it.
    And keep in touch. Look forward to supporting you next term. Dz.

Eclectic_Jellyfish likes this.
  7. Eclectic_Jellyfish

Thank you so much for your kind words! I absolutely love teaching now so it makes it so much easier to be passionate. I’m off to Portugal on Monday so I’ll hopefully relax a little there (well as much as I can with a 2 year old :p)
    Again, thank you for your support so far! Have an amazing summer yourself! Xx