1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pecking Order

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Pecking order
    In my chicken hut there are many familiar characters. Three hens  skirt around the edges, not annoying anyone, taking their turn with the food and water, in quite good condition with a reasonable lay pattern, keeping their heads down and not attracting attention. There is a very skinny one who has lost feathers, is pecked, scarred and sat on frequently, with a manic look in her eye but she lays the biggest eggs. The most fearsome is the biggest, who eats the most, makes a lot of noise, takes over the nest box, sits on the scrawny one, never lays or gets up much  but looks fab to visitors. Lastly, the skinny cockerel runs himself ragged chasing his tail being pecked constantly, never gets to the food and doesn't really please anyone (swatted off if he tries...) but makes alot of noise and thinks he's in charge. 

2. Pecking order
    In my chicken hut there are many familiar characters. Three hens  skirt around the edges, not annoying anyone, taking their turn with the food and water, in quite good condition with a reasonable lay pattern, keeping their heads down and not attracting attention. There is a very skinny one who has lost feathers, is pecked, scarred and sat on frequently, with a manic look in her eye but she lays the biggest eggs. The most fearsome is the biggest, who eats the most, makes a lot of noise, takes over the nest box, sits on the scrawny one, never lays or gets up much  but looks fab to visitors. Lastly, the skinny cockerel runs himself ragged chasing his tail being pecked constantly, never gets to the food and doesn't really please anyone (swatted off if he tries...) but makes alot of noise and thinks he's in charge. 

3. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

Rehome the fearsome one who takes over the nest box. She's not productive; this will allow the skinny one to regrow her feathers.
    Can't comment on the cockrel! He seems harmless enough.[​IMG]

4. Sorry, I thought it would be clear ie. Staffroom dynamic parallel. Not about my chickens!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhh it was...and if this wasn't a public forum I could identify all those chickens in my school!

A fox coming in might help...

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It was.
    2004's advice applies to both :)

7. Forgot to mention a previous cockerel who'd so admired his own tail feathers, had preened and showed them off so well that one day...he was swallowed up by his own bottom! I had heard he was an AST.