1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pearson SuccessMaker

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katy_matey, Jun 28, 2016.

1. katy_matey

katy_matey New commenter

Hi,

Has anyone used the Pearson's SuccessMaker programme? It is being advertised as an intervention programme that is personalised and tailored to what a child needs in order to 'catch up' with their peers. It sounds quite impressive and I have spoken to our local rep who is very passionate about it....I just wanted to know if anyone has any practical experience of this and the impact it has had....

Thanks.

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Reps can be very passionate about things.
    Have you asked the rep if there any schools currently using this product where you can visit to see it in action?

SSS

3. katy_matey

katy_matey New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I've asked but the reply was that it was a new product and that schools are currently having their training on it with a view to launch it in September.

4. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

There are two types of intervention:
    1) You create the programme yourself based on the child's needs; lots of work needed to plan. Often effective but time consuming
    2) An 'off-the-peg' commercial scheme which is a one-size-fits-all model and no matter what the claims, cannot be wholly personalised for that child/group; much less work. Often can be hit or miss.

I wouldn't judge anyone for picking option 2 (let's face it we can't plan everything in minute detail!) but remember it's been written to fit every type of child in every type of school in the country! It might give something to work from initially though.

5. katy_matey

katy_matey New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I understand that this SuccessMaker programme analyses responses from the online questions and then tailor makes an approach for the individual child. It's had a lot of success in the USA and is a new product to be launched over here. Ideally, I'm hoping that this intervention will be a mix of options 1 and 2 that you outlined above!

Northhead likes this.