1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pearson L3 Extended Cert Information Tech Unit 2 & MS Access help system

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rgh18, Mar 31, 2019.

1. rgh18

rgh18 New commenter

When students are completing this task, no Internet access is allowed. However, the current version of ms access has the help system online. So are students supposed to remember the syntax of functions such as DateDiff, which was required for the january sitting?

I certainly can't remember. I know most programming environments have such a function, so I know what to look for, but exactly how DateDiff is implemented in Access, what parameters are required in what order and what if anything gets returned, is something I'd have to look up.

How do other people deal with this? Only thing I can think of, as it stands, is to advise students to come running out of the controlled conditions of the task, google any required functionality while the requirement is fresh in their mind, write down suitable functions and then go through their notes before the start of the next session. Completely mad. No professional developers work like that.

Anyone managed to get more sense out of Pearson than I have?

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

3. rgh18

rgh18 New commenter

Thanks madcat.

The github links given in that discussion don't seem to work.

It initially seems to be possible to download 'Office 2013 VBA Documentation' from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40326

but when I try and use the chm file available from there, although it appears to contain an 'alphabetical list of functions', clicking one to discover its definition fires up a browser and goes to somewhere in https://docs.microsoft.com.

So unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem.

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter