1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

peanut butter

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sparklepig2002, May 15, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Has anyone ever made their own peanut butter? I love all the well know brands, but even the reduced sugar ones are still very sweet. Have found a recipe on the internet to try, but just wanted to ask the experts first.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've not tried any but HFW does a lot of recipes with various different nuts in his Every Day book. They all sound very good.and I keep meaning to try them.
    Search for Hugh Fearnley Whittinstall nut butter recipes and I'm sure you'll find something. There's probably a column on them in Guardian online - most of his recipes feature in these before appearing in his various books.
    As an aside, a good commercial brand that's got no sugar in at all is the Whole Earth brand. We love it and wouldn't use anything else (always chunky for us!) I find SunPat etc. far too sweet.
    Whole Earth chunky is great in a homemade satay sauce as well.

3. sparklepig2002

thanks Nick-google here I come.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Peanut butter.....................food of the devil! Cannot stand it 'raw' but it's ok in satay or peanut cookies or as an ingredient. But on bread..........bleugh!!!

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

on toast or straight from the jar on a teaspoon - yum!

6. sparklepig2002

I'm with you on this, Dozy.

7. If I had to choose one food as my favourite is seriously would be peanut butter. Agree with above - the whole earth one is lovely. And if you've never tried it...go into one of those milkshake shops and ask for peanut butter and banana - yum![​IMG]

8. sparklepig2002

how long does homemade peanut butter keep and do I have to keep it in the fridge?

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The shopbought stuff doesn't need to be kept in the fridge and it lasts a while - I mean the decent stuff us well - no preservatives or anything.
    I'd use it within a few weeks though - the nuts might go rancid.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Nooooooooooooo!!! Looks and tastes liike vomit.

11. Nooooooo, Belle - that'll be Heinz sandwich spread.
    Apparently Barry Humphries used to play a horrible prank on unsuspecting fellow air travellers using this stuff and an airline sick bag.
    I'll leave you to fill in the missing details...

12. dozymare1957

I thought that was Sean Connery and tinned Heinz vegetable salad

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Now you're talking.
    I think that Heinz sandwich spread was actually vomit.
    I was amazed to find the other day that you can still get it! There were jars of Princes paste next to it in the Co-op. Proper 80s nostalgia!
    It reminded me that a parent could depress a child with just one word in the 80s:

Child: What's in my sandwiches, Mum?
    Mum: Paste.
    Child: ........................

14. dozymare1957

My daughter told me that she puts paste in my grandson's sandwiches - UGH! Poor little mite is only 10 months and she's torturing him with this food of the devil already.
    I liked Sandwich Spread when I was a child but now I agree with Nick and Manny.

15. sparklepig2002

my mum used to give me potted beef paste-I am afraid I actually liked it [​IMG]

16. I'm seriously considering paste and sandwich spread for my lunch box now!
    I liked both as a kid - and toast toppers!
    I am very, very tempted!
    Oh, and I love peanut butter too, Whole Earth's!

17. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

The amounts of that I got through when I was pregnant...

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sandwich spread is bad enough, but knowing the bizarre cravings you went through EG, I imagine you dipped chocolate covered raisins in yours? [​IMG]

19. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Erm, custard creams and bourbon biscuits! Probably why I can't look at them now without my stomach doing funny things!

20. dozymare1957

I ate prawns and avocado when I was pregnant with number 1. I can't stand prawns but have loved avocado since. I mostly lived on Cocopops though which I ate at all times of the day or night. I didn't have any cravings with 2, 3 or 4.
    Peanut butter? Am I the only one who eats it by the spoonful from the jar? [​IMG]