1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Peaky Blinders - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Sep 22, 2019.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As Peaky Blenders Season 5 approaches its finale I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how it's all gone or where it's all going? I'll probably have to see it on catch up tomorrow due to family commitments.

Peaky Blender.jpg

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh, I love Peaky Bloinders! I was worried Season 5 would be a disappointment, but it's been brill. That Arthur! The actor playing him is tremendous.

needabreak likes this.
  3. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

Have to confess never watched the programme at all .
    Nor I have I watche game of thrones.
    Don't know what it's about even . I shall now have to have a read up about it .
    Curiosity and all that .

nomad likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Haven't watched this series yet. Got it all recorded and will wait until the dark evenings.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The bad brummie accents put me off from the start.

lindenlea likes this.
  6. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yeah, he's amazing.
    I have only just started watching Season 5 on iPlayer and the only thing I'm finding off putting is how compared to previous seasons it's now very much Peaky Blinders on Steroids - a bit over blown. I prefer my drama to be understated.

magic surf bus and needabreak like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I agree with @nizebaby about the accents. I watched about three episodes and Helen McRory was just driving me mad.
    I remember my father talking about actual peaky blinders. As he said, nothing new under the sun.

nomad likes this.
  8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I've watched it on catch up and am almost at the end of series 4. I agree about how bloomin awful Helen Mcrory is, which is a shame because all the other Shelby women are excellent. On balance I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree about Arthur being magnificent as is Tommy. The Jewish guy in series three was absolutely superb as well. The plot lines are inventive if slightly far fetched at times. I think it is the best thing on terrestrial l telly I have seen for quite some time.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You'be got to laugh. My city did sweet FA to use Tolkien's setting for The Hobbit etc, as a lucrative tourist lure. I expect there'll be coachloads turning up for the Digbeth Experience!

10. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I believe there's already a Peaky Blinders festival.

I've enjoyed watching the show. The music is outstanding and I love all the 'walking purposefully towards the camera while sparks fly in the background'.

Delighted to see the return of an old ally/enemy, disappointed to see the (probable) end of another character and gutted that we have to wait for season 6 to find out what happens next!

border_walker and Oscillatingass like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really don't like it - glorifying crime is not my thing.

12. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I’ve loved this series. Thinking about what to say about last night without spoilers ... nope ... I’ve loved this series.

border_walker likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Same here - I'm sure it will get award nominations for production, but visually it's beginning to remind me of a movie adaption of a graphic novel, with a sequence of set piece scenes where the mood lighting and CGI have all gone a bit over the top. It's all so dark I'm surprised they don't keep bumping into each other. I think the other trap they're falling into is the core actors are following a tick list of fan expectations, ie in every episode they will walk in a line in slow motion down a street with inexplicable flames bursting forth in the background, every scene with Tommy is dark, brooding, and meaningful, Arthur at some point will yell his signature 'Don't f***..." line, and so on. I think it relies very heavily on the performance of rival villains to buoy it up - Moseley's not bad in this season, but I find the Billy Boy leader's presence (and accent) a bit too low key. I can't help thinking Billy Connolly would have made mincemeat of that role a decade or so ago. To be fair though, Tom Hardy's Alfie Solomons is a hard act to follow.

BAFTA nod for Paul Anderson as Arthur surely? I didn't realise he was in The Revenant until I started Googling his background, so he has a good pedigree.

sodalime likes this.
  14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

This. I don't like it when authors follow in to this trap 4 books into their career, nor when TV Series productions do it. It all becomes formulaic and predictable.

And some of the travellers

Not a believable character - and the accent is appalling.

In saying all that, I've now watched 4 episodes and am totally hooked :)

15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've never watched it but I know people who have. I don't see how a series can be made about people putting razor blades in the peaks of their caps. Do they then throw them at other people to blind them? Because, if they do, they must be the most inefficient weapon ever devised.

People tell me "you must watch it!"

My reply "gangsters?". It sounds like an incredibly banal idea.