1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Peace on Earth

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Dec 22, 2010.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

It is nearly Christmas
    The recession is cutting into many people's lives
    The politicians are stirring up a lot of problems
    What is actually giving you joy, hope or inspiration?
    I just 'happened upon' this video 'Peace on Earth' and feel it is worth sharing.
    What would you like to share?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtFG9gUV_Eg&feature=player_detailpage

2. durgamata

I think most sane people, whateve their politics, are wanting the same basic thing - progress so that more people can live better lives, so that there is less conflict and more peace.
    So what prevents it?
    Ignorance, not seeing things correctly - seeing them through the lens of prejudice or the literal interpretation of a particular kind of doctrine (whether religious or political) is, I think, one of the main causes of conflict. And good RE teaches students how to recognise and strip away those prejudices and preconceptions, how to see things as they really are. (another good reason to mention in letters to Gove.)
    Another thing that prevents peace and causes conflict is our own lack of self-understanding - so that we react to other people from a sense of separativity rather than oneness.
    I know if I am in a good mood, if my 'consciousness is high' and I am feeling full of inner peace myself, then I tend to react to others in a way which creates harmony. But if I am stressed out and upset or angry about something then I will react in a way which may well cause conflict.
    I want to create a resource which explores this and brings together resources which can inspire both students and teachers - all of us - to understand the causes of conflict and bring more tools for creating harmony and peace. Can you share some that I can include please?
    I am starting with some that I have been collating this week in relation to an incident of rudeness/meanness which caused some problems for my friends at the weekend. This is 'RE in action' if you like, outside the classroom, but just as relevant for the classroom too.
    I'm uploading it as a resource but hopefully will be able to add to it as you all share quotes, video-links, experiences and anecdotes etc which shed light on this important question.
    I will entitle my resource 'Peace on Earth.'
    thanks and happy christmas
    durgamata

3. durgamata

ok - new resource now uploaded - this is how it starts

Peace on Earth An opportunity to think about the philosophy underlying the existence of Religious Education (or RS) as a subject -and A resource for sharing anything which we find inspiring or effective in moving our personal lives / classrooms / schools / society / world from their current state of comparative stress / misery, / injustice / tension / conflict towards more peace, harmony and happiness> <font face="Times New Roman">In starting the related thread and this resource, I have been inspired by two short videos from youtube</font> [/b] I think most sane people, whatever their politics, whatever their religion, world-view (or their beliefs about God etc) are wanting the same basic thing - progress so that they themselves, their families, their communities and in general more people in our world can live happier lives &ndash; they want less conflict and more peace.
    ok - the thanks is for reading this - but even bigger thanks if you will add to this thread with your own 'tools' for creating harmony and peace - favourite quotations and texts, pictures and cartoons, video links and suggestions.
    I think that comedy helps create more peace, too, because when people laugh together they are much less inclined to be stressed. If you can see the funny side of something it is less painful or threatening - so even some jokes or comic videos would be great.
    Here is one I put on the unemployed site (boymongoose again.) did you see his 'twelve days of Christmas?'
    <font color="#606420" face="Times New Roman">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbciCSY2Ip0&feature=player_detailpage</font>