1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Peace at Last? Any topic ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jo_the_star, Oct 16, 2008.

1. This is my topic after half term with my nursery. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if there is an ebook/powerpoint with the story on?

Thanks!

2. This is my topic after half term with my nursery. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if there is an ebook/powerpoint with the story on?

Thanks!

3. The Belair early years 'stories' book has quiet a few ideas for peace at last. I don't have a copy or I would list them for you. Will ask the other teachers at school for you and come back with some ideas?

4. I have the Belair book "Stories" (mentioned above). These are some of the activities:

STARTING POINTS:

• Read the story using props (3 diff sized bears, a clock, a toy owl, hedgehog, cat, bird and an alarm clock).

• Circle time: Talk about childrens bedtime routines, sleep experiences etc.
    CLL:

• Encourage children to use the props to retell the story in their own words.

• Reread the story with more detail...discuss author, illustrator, high frequency words they may recognise.

• Sound walk. Listening carefully to diff sounds and discuss them. Make the noises in the story with musical instruments, voices etc.

• Make their own version of the story. Make up diff endings for the story.
    MATHS:

• Use bears of diff sizes and order them. Compare, use descriptive words/language.

• Describe where Mr Bear went first, second, third....
    KUW:

• Discuss diff's between night and day...animals, sounds, light/dark.

• Talk about what Mr Bear may have eaten in the kitchen...make diff things with the children eg. toast, sandwiches etc.

• Use the role play area to re-enact the story using apporpriate items.
    CD:

• Paint or draw a picture of one of the bears or part of the story.

• Use handprints/leaves etc to make pics of the hedgehog/owl.

• Design duvets/patterned bed covers for the bears beds.
    I hope this helps you.

5. That's a great starting point. Thank you very much! [​IMG]

6. There are some fab pictures on sparkelbox which I used when using this text in loads of different ways. for example in writing area with postcards as stimulus, ordering them on washing line outside, in creative area as stimulus etc

I linked this book with a journeys topic and did lots of work on space and space travel.

7. Oops thought you said whatever next text (no idea why) [​IMG]

For peace at last we did lots of listening games and recorded children making the sounds in the text. We also made dens and talked about how we could make them quiet and cosy for Mr Bear and reenacted the story with props