1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE Teaching....

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by apwayland, Nov 2, 2015.

1. apwayland

apwayland New commenter

I graduated in 2007, and have since been in school support roles which have been well paid, but I feel now, with 3 young children I would like to explore stepping up into a teaching role.

As a sports coaching graduate, one of the issues in the past which as put me off is being only able to be a pe teaching - not because of the subject but because it is a highly subscribed course. I have a couple of friends who are PGCE qualified but can find jobs, one in the south and one in East Anglia, this also worries me.

Would any recommend PE teaching to me? Best routes in? Are the employment myths and actually are there plenty of opportunity.

Being 34, I am at that stage where I now want to commit, I have to do a resit in Maths (have a D) and then I would be looking to apply. Its that, or walk away from schools and find an entry level job which would have prospects.

Thanks for reading.

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Hope you like not seeing your children. PE teachers at my school do so much extracurricular stuff and matches across three sports after school that I'm amazed they have time for friends, let alone families.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Where are you in the country? Unlike someone who is twenty-something with no commitments, you probably can't move for a job. PE is ultra-ultra competitive. The experience of others is probably the norm. IF as well you can't commute for a long distance because of kids you may well find yourself snookered.

Think carefully before you throw yourself in, as to whether you are prepared to gamble on getting a position or not.

4. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

being a PE teacher myself (in the south east), my experience is, if you are a good enough teacher you will get a job.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

That is your experience in the south east though. A place with a different recruitment climate to much of the rest of the country.

6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I agree with the first post. My school is uber keen extra curricular activities. We have dance, trampolining, gymnastics, basketball, swimming, tennis, oh you name it! All of the PE teachers are behind for 2 hrs a week at least 3 times a week.

If you are prepared to sacrifice your family go for it.

I am engaged, with 3 kids and I had to step down as HoD, English & Creative Media this term because I just couldn't cope with it. Personally, within the 6 years I've been HoD, I've had a divorce, got engaged and had a 3rd child... (Yes I know!). I just couldn't manage it. Of course, being HoD and it being English isn't going to be easy! But if you are very family orientated, you must definitely think about this seriously.

Albeit, half the reason why I stepped down was because I will be Achievement Coordinator Year 7 in Sept in my current school. But that's besides the point.

I would say, definitely work on your Maths. I suggest IGCSE Maths. It's easier because the two exams are both calculator. So if you suck at arithmetic then do IGCSE.

Once you get your Maths, then start thinking about your job move.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Read yesterday ( ? ) report ( Hewson / Howson sp ? ) out which heightens surplus / surfeit ? of PE and Art teachers.