1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE teaching scheme for ex teacher now TA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tracer24, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hi, I am asking advice on behalf of a friend. I used to teach primary years ago but am now out of touch. My friend has been offerd a TA's job covering for ppa time and is expected to teach PE. It seems that she will have to plan the lesson herself and while she does want to get back into teaching has decided to get experience and build her confidence by going for the TA job. I do think that it is wrong for the school to expect her to plan it but she is happy to do it to gain the experience. Do any of you have any advice for her, websites she can use for lesson plans etc? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

She could have a look at this website: http://www.ppds.ie/pcsparchive/pe/pssi/clickme.html

3. We've been told our TAs can't teach PE. Maybe they are considering differently as she is actually a qualified teacher.

4. Ours can't teach PE either.
    We only use TAs for PPA cover in school. We are told to plan for them, or to give them a subject which has a lesson-by-lesson scheme of work, such as music (we use Music Express). We are also supposed to assess for those subjects, based on snatched conversations and scribbled notes on who did what.
    It's a nightmare!

5. Thank you for posting that website, it looks really interesting.

6. This!

7. Thanks to all for your replies . Thank you particularly to Cally for that website link, I will pass on the info. I agree that it seems particularly slapdash of the school to expect TAs to teach PE, I would think it has safety implications as well as the other concerns and my friend says that the TAs already there teach PE.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

my TA has a PE instructors' qulaification, she teaches PE throughout the school.

9. I think if the TA has a PE instructors qualification it is a very different situation, but I can't imagine many TAs have this qualification.

10. Bump for A.M.