1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE teaching - meant to be doing athletics need to ensure all children are active and engaged.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cathyevans84, Jun 12, 2016.

1. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

Hi I am a trainee and have been asked to teach year 1 outdoor PE athletics but am stuck for ideas about what we can do that enables all children to be active and engaged in lesson - with races there is always a lot of standing around cheering while waiting for your turn. Any ideas?

2. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Athletics is more than just running. You have throwing and jumping to also consider when planning for athletics. PE lessons need to always have a focus and I personally wouldn't be happy to present my CTM with a lesson based around races.

When I was a student I had to plan for three classes, so it was easier for me to plan activities where everyone was involved as there were 5 stations with 17-18 children taking part in each activity.

Have you thought about planning a lesson around skipping? It fits with the jumping criteria of athletics and it also is a good topic to show progression in a lesson.

gingerhobo48 and cathyevans84 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do relay type races.
    Teams and 'winner' is not necessarily first to finish but first to be sat down ready for the next race.

Just seen pcmush' s suggestion yes stations is another way to do it. each station has a different activity. 5 mins at each and then move on.
    Keeps them on their toes and not 'standing around'.

I think you're thinking too much Secondary Athletics, which you probably remember from school.

It's been a while since I did it but there may be some suggestions on my PE resource?

4. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

I wasn't happy with it either. Skipping sounds good, several of them struggle with it. I could have a series of skipping challenges they have to work their way up.

5. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

[QUOTEto="Lara mfl 05, post: 11711019, member: 604182"]Do relay type races.
    Teams and 'winner' is not necessarily first to finish but first to be sat down ready for the next race.

Just seen pcmush' s suggestion yes stations is another way to do it. each station has a different activity. 5 mins at each and then move on.
    Keeps them on their toes and not 'standing around'.

I think you're thinking too much Secondary Athletics, which you probably remember from school.

It's been a while since I did it but there may be some suggestions on my PE resource?[/QUOTE]
    Thank you. I am going by what I have been advised to teach them and what other teachers are doing, but I am reluctant to just do an lesson because that is what they are doing if I know it is not going to involve and motivate all children.

6. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

This is going to be a rare time where I disagree with Lara. PE lessons at Primary level should still have everyone active and waiting times should be kept to a minimum. You sound very dedicated and I know you were not happy with just having races, but sadly some teachers do just plan simple races for PE lessons. Sometimes it's appropriate for Sports Day practice and maybe as an end of a lesson, but it shouldn't really be the main activity.

7. Lara mfl 05

So exactly what is it that you have been advised to teach?

By relay races @pcsush I was thinking for example
    6 teams, 5 in a team. 3 at one end 2 at the other. Short distance between the two ends to ensure speedy changeovers though perhaps stations is a better way to ensure activity.

8. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

"Races like the sort of thing on sports day" is what I have been advised. I am happy to do running, jumping, skipping, etc but with everyone doing it at once. I was thinking a sort of self challenge, so they start and I blow the whistleafter say three minutes, and then they have to challenge themselves to beat their score. Something like that.

Kartoshka likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Brilliant idea and just the sort of practice they will need for Sports Day.

10. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Coming from a coaching background, it would seem that you are thinking about the activity (races) rather than the skill (technique), similar to planning for children to write a letter, rather than use persuasive devices. If you're doing running, could you focus on hand and leg co-ordination, or a particular part of the technique?

Search 'kids running technique' into youtube and there are loads of great videos and ideas. You'll hopefully come across as a bit of athletics guru that way too!

chelsea2 likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

@Calamity54321 is quite right about thinking in terms of progression of technique.

So for example running continuously for 1 minute then building up one's time. You can also shorten the 'recovery time' in between as they progress.

Plain running, then running between /round obstacles( without touching)
    Then running and passing something to a partner (in prep for relays later up the school)

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm with Calamity, you need to be teaching the children, not just having them all do an activity. Also you need to think how to extend those who can already run/skip/throw/catch/etc.
    Also find out what they will need to be able to do for sports day and teach that.

Stations are fine to keep everyone active, but less fine for teaching or monitoring who needs pushing on and who needs extra help.

Lesson 1, teach how to start/finish a race efficiently
    Lesson 2, teach different kinds of moving, which are fast for a race?
    Lesson 3, throwing to a target
    Lesson 4, throwing a long way
    etc etc

These are great plans
    http://www.sasp.co.uk/uploads/athletics-year-1-2.pdf

SportyK and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

14. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

I agree, very helpful @caterpillartobutterfly!
    I run treasure hunt with the younger chn in my PE club.
    Set up a coloured cones in each corner of the hall. Chn are put into a coloured team such as white or red. In the middle of the hall place a large hoop, fill it with soft balls. Chn form a line and sprint one by one into the middle and collect a ball from the hoop. I do a practice, quarter-final, semi and final. Obviously, the group with the least amount of balls is knocked out. They have to try to get back into the game by answering times table questions (2, 5 & 10) during the next race once they answer 3 correct they're allowed back in. This can be extended by adding ladders on the floor for chn to work on foot speed and stepping.
    The chn like it as those who might not love PE enjoy answering the maths questions. I always allow a challenge at the end where there is a shoot-out between each group to see who can answer the most questions right. The losing groups do a forfeit such as 10 star jumps, burpees etc.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. SportyK

or you could do this alternative version I found. looks cool.

16. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

There are a lot of PE ideas in resources on here.

17. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Have a look at the Quadkids website - they have some good resources. You might be able to simplify some of the ideas for Year 1.

18. Lara mfl 05

Great ideas there @SportyK ! However can I just ask how often have you taught Year 1? Ieas would work with older Juniors but having taught Reception, yr 1 and yr 2 last year they probably wouldn't respond quite as you imagine.;)

19. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Remember to focus on the teaching, not the activity. What specific skill(s) will you be delivering during your teaching input?

20. SportyK

Never as a year only the odd bit of supply @Lara mfl 05 UKS2 is my area as you rightly asserted.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.