1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE teachers - is there a reason for the stereotype?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by crapteacher1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. PE teachers : a misunderstood breed, right? Wrong. In 'This Sporting Life', the latest post to the crapteacher blog, all this and more is explored.
    http://www.crapteacher.wordpress.com/

2. PE teachers : a misunderstood breed, right? Wrong. In 'This Sporting Life', the latest post to the crapteacher blog, all this and more is explored.
    http://www.crapteacher.wordpress.com/

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I started reading this, and got bored within the first 5 paragraphs.
    Presuming the rest of it is in the same vein as the first 5 paragraphs, it's oobviously just a wind up aimed at taking a poke at PE teachers.
    In the days of KES (ie when I was a boy at school) many of the comments would have rung true.
    However the picture is now, thankfully very different.
    Much of what has been described just wouldn't happen due to the inevitable backlash from parents and SMT.

4. My oh my, what a total load of drivel. Maybe the reason you write a blog is because people are bored with listening to what comes out of your mouth, you need a larger platform to shout "attention, attention, look at me, please listen to me"

5. Have I touched upon a nerve? No, the reason I write a blog is beause I like writing. I can understand that some of what I say might rub people up the wrong way, but comments on the blog (including the recent post) have been overwhelmingly positive. Quite a few PE teachers have enjoyed the recent post and recognised it for what it is: some recognisable truths stretched a little for the sake of humour and entertainment. I guess it won't always please everyone. [​IMG]

6. stopwatch

I don't think it has touched a nerve, it's just an extremely exaggerated/charicatured version of PE 30 years ago.
    If seen as this (and not as a representation of what the situation is now) then, yes it is a mildy amusing representation of days gone by.

7. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I must admit the long jump story was funny. Making up results, using the less able kids as helpers to make them feel special, a typical secondary school PE teacher (with short shorts).

8. Too much time on your hands, not enough knowledge, charisma or humour!!!
    Will read your articles again if they contain any sort of quality or you have a 'comedy transplant'
    In the meantime, I would like to apologise to you for being one of the children you so accurately described at school who PE didn't reach out to, not sure which of the 2 groups you were in!
    Just to let you know, I know you like writing but you spelt 'because' wrong, can't believe a PE teacher had to correct you on that!

9. stopwatch

Not in any of the Secondary Schools I have taught in or had experience of.

10. I didn't read the article.
    'incorrectly'. 'Wrong' isn't wrong - it's just that there is 'English' and there is 'better English'..
    And before anybody calls me pedantic....
    I know.
    Don't get me started on long jump. Boards and plasticine should have been replaced with electronic take off boards/pads just after freaky Beamon.
    And if the poster that posted the post to stereotype PE teachers intended to upset PE posters who post on here, did so to upset PE posters....
    You are a sad, bored putz. And if you didn't - I recant my pointed post.
    [​IMG] is good.