1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE Teacher wanting to get out of teaching...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by grs95, Dec 8, 2019.

1. grs95

grs95 New commenter

Hi all,

Unfortunately, after four years of being a PE teacher, I think I’m done.

However, I don’t know what I could move onto next, I feel very trapped in my very specific/practical role.

I live in central London and due to family reasons, I can’t afford to start a job that pays less that £30k a year, so I feel even more stuck because of this.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could move onto out of the education sector?

Thanks!

2. 85Teacher2010

85Teacher2010 New commenter

Could you not do long term supply-I know a teacher who has done this and loves the lack of workload, they said they have a much better work life balance. He also makes 27k a year...in london I am sure you might earn more??

3. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Become a private personal trainer? In London you'd probably have quite a good chance to build up a client base whilst staying local?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Saw the railways were hiring trainee drivers. Good money there.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Do you want to keep a link with sport or teaching or get away from both? If keeping a link, then you might need to consider a mix of things to make a reasonable salary - personal trainer, running a particular exercise class or sports activity for adults or children, coaching a particular sport, setting up a business as a sports holiday camp provider, lifeguard...
    There’s an online careers advice service called Morrisby which may be helpful - obviously you have to pay for its services, but it may help you to see what skills you have and how you could best use them...

agathamorse likes this.