1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE Teacher or Sports Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by DMorris90, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a 4th year student at Bournemouth University studying Sports Development and Coaching Sciences currently working on my dissertation.
    I am in the process of deciding whether follow the path of PE teaching or sport coaching as a career, so I have decided to base my dissertation around this subject;
    What are the reasons behind career choice between PE Teaching and Sports Coaching.
    I am just looking for a few opinions on this area, differences, similarities and anyones personal experiences and decisions.
    Thank you,
    Dan

2. Do you like children is a good start?

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

If you say, "No", do you get the job?

4. The coaching job, yes.

5. Why would you say that?
    I am a part time coach and love children? Guessing you are teachers yourself?
    Why did you decide to go into teaching?
    As coaching and teaching are the same! or do you think differently?
    Dan

6. I misunderstood your question - if I was to going into coaching professionally, it would be to move away from children. I thought that was what you meant.
    I teach PE throughout Primary abnd Secondary. I also coach ex-curric to both.
    They are similar but the differentiation is different - I expect to be able to build on certain levels of skill in coaching (specific skill for a players position etc) whereas teaching can be more gradual, general and the differentiation more demanding.
    You do not coach a team in a PE lesson, at least not in the same detail you would a 'team'.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Coaching anf teaching are not the same
    I think differently

8. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Teaching has to be for everyone - assume no previous skills but as the lesson progress you work out who needs to be stretched and who needs extra help. This is why coaches make very bad teachers - they cannot cater for the less able and they are so used to having kids with a preset level of ability. Coaches should only be used in after school clubs, teachers need to teach the PE lesson. Actual PE knowledge in my opinion does not matter so much at primary level - they need someone with good behaviour management, who can adapt lessons to all abilities, and is enthusiastic.

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

You are joking!?? P.E. knowledge is essential at primary level. Think about gym, they absolutely need the building blocks of basic shapes and strength before they go to secondary. How can you possibly teach any of 6-8 games/sports throughout the year without knowledge. Have you ever tried to teach orienteering with no knowledge.
    As for the OP, I often find myself crossing the line from teacher to coach with my Year 5 and 6's. They are a talented lot this year and I always have half an eye on the next fixture.

10. Yes.

I got lost.

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Ah, so that explains why so many children get to me in Y6 and can't even kick, throw or catch a ball properly.

12. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I think you've missed the point. A primary teacher does not need a Level 1 Rugby qualification to teach rugby. They need to understand the game and the basic skills. Teachers should be teaching kids to throw and catch, attack and defend. It is then up to coaches to further develop these fundamental skills. Enthusiasm is the key. I have seen many highly qualified coaches come into school and bore the kids.