1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE Street Dance - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HunkyDory73, Feb 24, 2017.

1. HunkyDory73

HunkyDory73 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm looking for some inspiration/help. I'm doing dance with my year 3s from next week and have started to plan a street dance theme, in an effort to keep the boys interested.

First of all - any tips on finding music?? I will have to use a laptop and searching youtube is impossible - full of inappropriate content!

Secondly, I am drawing a blank after first two sessions. I have planned some movement in blocks of 8 that they will repeat/remember/perform. But in terms of sharing and creating phrases, any tips on how best to facilitate that? It's my first time teaching dance! I was considering building up phrases linked to the principles of dance...?

All help gratefully received!!

HD x

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Give them objects or pictures to use for inspiration. I.e. can they incorporate movements which represent animals? Perhaps using feathers or fabrics to stimulate flowing movements? Ask them to listen to parts of the song and discuss how the music makes them feel. Each group member could be responsible for introducing a movement. Plan in peer and self assessment opportunities also.

Edit: ask the kids to pick the song by voting. <- British values link right there hahaha

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Mrs_Hamilton and alexanderosman like this.