1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pe lessons

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Kittyb74, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Thanks, there are 5 including the teacher. I really want them to enjoy PE, and ideally Id like to combine it with a bit of PHSE in there. Hoping that might help towards some of the issues with the children in the class.

2. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Do you mind giving me some ideas. Before I started the course I was never working the Friday when GT takes place and you are right, most of them just colour in, draw or play Lego. Any ideas would be appreciated.

3. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

No plans for PE in the class I'm talking about, just do this today. The other class I get really detailed plans for PE. Obviously with the hockey and rugby I know it's more to do with working on passing, positioning, moving etc rather than a full blown match. Only 1 of the 5 adults but apparently she does readers during this time.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It’s up to the HT, if they feel the person can teach rugby, the person can teach rugby.

It is up to the HT to manage risk and make whatever decisions need to be made about who can do what...

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't underestimate what children learn by 'just playing with lego'.
    Aside from the obvious DT type skills, they will often be engaged in conversation, problem solving, fine motor, persevering, shape and space awareness, the list is endless!

Also free play can be very beneficial, especially for those who aren't very good at playing. Have the tricky ones and play a board game with them or do a 100 piece jigsaw. Model how to lose and how to win.

A friend of mine often says that "If children aren't very good at maths or reading, we give them extra time to read and do maths. If they aren't very good at playing or sharing, we give them less time to play and share and then wonder why they don't get better at playing and sharing!"

agathamorse, strawbs, Pomza and 2 others like this.
  6. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Wow! 5! That’s good- the
    4 TAs can learn from your approach with the children. The focus groups that class can have every lesson! Such potential.

Sounds a great plan. They sound lucky to have you in the mix.

7. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I agree with CTB re Lego. It offers such opportunities.

I used to talk to the children around what activities they’d like that they did not do/ did not do as regularly in school. I’d then set up these as a rotation in a day or across the term. It was a bit EYs style and was special and was structured, planned and resourced well. The older children loved the below as much, if not more, than the younger children. We planned it together as special time, with specific foci.

Things like-
    Lego / construction;
    Cake / biscuit decorating;
    Jewellery making- beads etc;
    Modelling- play dough/ salt dough etc;
    Card making/ present making crafts (the children loved to make things for their family);
    Mask making/ puppets/ role play;
    IT projects;
    Badge making- proper machine!
    Retro games- the exciting ones!

If children chose to colour, that was fine but it was more to their interests and I’d get books/nice felts and make it more special. They often then framed or laminated their output and made it into a gift.

I’d then place myself with a group. Either leading an activity, chatting or modelling language / interactions etc. Sometimes it was a good chance to do some learner dialogue style feedback one to one with targeted children (they loved this). Sometimes it gave chance to pick up on friendship dynamics and talk through whilst they were interacting with each other in a different way. The children already loved circle time. In one class we did it daily after lunch to build a positive class dynamic- it phased out as relationships strengthened!

agathamorse and Kittyb74 like this.
  8. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

I know there are benefits of Lego, in class they often build weapons! I gave the Lego user's a task to build me an extension for my home using lego. I gave them my criteria, music studio, gym, swimming pool and sauna etc they had fun doing that. I like the idea of a rotation.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

https://abcdoes.com/abc-does-a-blog/2017/03/11/i-hope-thats-not-a-gun/
    Have a read...
    I teach in an all boys school...if we didn't allow weapon play we'd seriously curtail learning and development.

For year 4, you can let them build guns and weapons. Maybe sit with them and talk about what your gun can do while you build...I've made guns that shoot cuddles, shoot custard, shoot lasers, shoot a massive, massive sheet that hides a whole class of children and so on. Once you start, the imagination is incredible.

Most children like to fight against baddies...which in a sense can be encouraged. You can write a story with them while they build a weapon, not saying no to anything, but 'wondering if...' when it becomes unpalatable. By the time they have built the weapon, the story will be finished and they can act it out and show the class. Fabulous PSHEE learning!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

And any head with half a brain would adhere to their local authority's guidelines. As for academies, well they are free to do what they like.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Interesting with adults too. When I worked at a bank, they used to use a doing Lego in teams as part of the selection process for graduate trainees. I though that was crazy until I went as one of the selectors and discovered how much it told us about how people can (or can't) work with others.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

13. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Again, this means nothing if an LA has provided additional restrictions. I know what you are saying about the demise of local authorities but part of being attached to one means you can receive support in terms of legal advice etc. if something were to happen. So, if you were part of an LA school which has told you that unqualified teachers should not be teaching PE without the necessary qualifications then you will not be supported by the LA or their legal team if something were to happen. This doesn't necessarily reflect on the unqualified teacher, it would be the head facing the 'chop' which is why I still stand by my point that no sensible head would allow this.