1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pe lessons

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Kittyb74, Feb 21, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The non-statutory examples of competitive games given by the NC are: badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis
    Presumably there is also no need to have year 4 hit a shuttlecock, kick a football, hit a cricket ball, etc either?
    If year 4s are to:
    play competitive games, modified where appropriate and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
    then I'd say the use of a ball is pretty essential!

Plastic sticks and plastic/tennis balls are perfectly fine for year 4s. for hockey.
    Similarly smaller bats, possibly plastic and soft balls are perfectly fine for cricket.
    Lower hoops are perfectly fine for netball and basketball.
    Tennis balls are fine for rounders.
    Etc, etc.

We are teaching with the NC aims of:
    develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
    are physically active for sustained periods of time
    engage in competitive sports and activities
    lead healthy, active lives.

NOT coach to Olympic standard by the time they leave year 6!

Pomza likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

Really???? PE on a Friday afternoon with a tricky class will be a whole lot more fun that trying to do maths or English, and certainly more fun than trying to police the pointless nonsense of 'golden time'!
    And spring is coming...a Friday afternoon in the wind and sun will be fab!

3. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Again, this is not TEACHING. Children playing friendly matches all the time builds up experience but not technical skill. I hate teaching classes when the children moan saying all they want to do is play matches - this is usually caused by other teachers shying away from proper teaching.

You don't say in DT - here's some wood, in pairs just make something. In music, here's a keyboard - just make some music.

I'm not secondary - I am primary.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL You clearly haven't worked in some seriously naff schools!
    Believe me a whole lot worse goes on in both those subjects!

@celago22 lesson is a great one off lesson for a TA covering PE for the occasional week.
    There is plenty of opportunity to teach skills while the class play and lots of time to evaluate with those observing.
    I agree 'teaching' PE every week for a half term requires a whole lot more T&L going on, but a one off cover lesson, it isn't all that bad.

5. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

To be fair, I should say that as a one-off it is a nice thing to do!

As for naff schools, I'm pleased to discover I have only worked at schools with proper teaching :)

agathamorse likes this.
  6. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

The hockey is an idea for one lesson, I did not suggest that it should be taught that way each week. It was to give a simple, quick idea for one hockey lesson.

I know that in art and Dt, the skills need to be developed first and over time. It's a difficult subject for a TA to cover which was the point I was making. However, some TAs will have a yearning for a particular subject and in an ideal world, this should be nurtured. For example if a TA has a passion for art then why not let them teach the art.

I think the OP and the teachers should discuss what areas the TA feels comfortable to teach but I also know that some teachers do give the least favourite subjects to the TAs.

7. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Golden timeo_O....the bane of my working week!! Just the name makes me inwardly cringe!

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Well clearly I have only worked in classes with 100% proper teaching...honest. Always. Even on cold wet Thursday afternoons in November. :p
    I hate it as a concept.
    If play is important, then timetable it into all lessons and don't ever take it away from those who need it most.
    If it isn't, then don't waste precious learning time with a token gesture.

Years ago, I taught year 6 in a two form entry school, sharing the year group with someone nearly as cynical and sarcastic as me. We used to joke that KS2 did Big Writing on Fridays so teachers could tidy their desks and get organised ready for the weekend and KS1 did golden time for the same reason. Both were educationally a total waste of time, but it was good for teacher wellbeing.

9. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

10. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

This is a tricky one. The class hardly ever has golden time because of overall behaviour. But every week I have the same children who ask if they can have it this week but inevitably the behaviour of the rest knocks golden time on the head. I just follow the classroom rules which is, it's given if everyone behaves and does what is needed for the afternoon. Unfortunately that very rarely is the case. On a funnier note my son who was a year 6 several years ago once asked me (before I was in a school role) why they had to do a whole load of writing on a Friday!! Now I know! :)

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The push is used extensively in field hockey!
    1. It encourages the hands being apart for greater strength and to assist accuracy.
    2. It has the hands already apart for stopping the ball and tackling.
    3. It encourages the players to 'stay low'.

As another poster commented.... many boys find it difficult to restrain themselves from wild and dangerous play on hitting the ball.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yeah. But at least I try.

13. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Turn it around, maybe they’re giving you what they see as a lovely Friday afternoon:
    PE-great to teach (well,IMO) and children enjoy;
    Children likely engaged as enjoy it;
    Good opportunity to build further positive relationships as you’ll be associated with PE;
    No marking for you on a Friday pm;
    Likely no planning- lift lesson from SOW.

I used to give one of my PE sessions to my leadership cover teacher when I was a teaching DH. I really missed it. The children loved PE so I thought it fair to give the other teacher this experience with them, plus the workload balance across the day she covered my class. I’d have much preferred to teach both PE sessions myself!

FWIW their TAs need to stop commenting and think how they can support the children to stay in class. They’re the consistency in the classroom with three teaching adults across the week. As you refer to plural TAs, I’d be expecting great personalised provision for the children with that high level of adult support available. Less talk from them and more making themselves the key people to change the situation. They can be really building the relationships with the children that you have. Maybe they can be replicating what they see you do on the other afternoon you’re in class? Channel their energy a bit more positively than commenting!

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  14. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Golden Time. Misused in primary.
    It came as part of the Jenny Mosley whole school quality circle time principles.
    Unless teachers are applying the full model in its pure form, with quality activities for the ‘golden time’ part, it’s down time for children /teachers loosely guised as an incentive or reward. I’ve walked around so many schools where children are colouring, playing with wet play activities or other ‘holding activities’, whilst a teacher marks, sorts or tidies. Holding activities are not ‘golden’! There are much more structured ways to give teachers/children time, if that’s what’s needed or if that’s what the intention is!

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi @Kittyb74, I've only skimmed this thread but I do know that the long-held idea that only those with QTS can teach PE is not the case. The 'insurance' stuff is a myth. Anyone the HT deems appropriate and capable can teach PE.
    It's good that you know the class and they know you. Will you have teacher's plans for these lessons? If not, ask for them - you haven't yet qualified as a HLTA so should not be expected to plan from scratch. I assume you will have the other class TAs with you? Get them on side - have a look at the plans and work out how you can 'make them your own' and make them fun. Set ground rules clearly at the start of a lesson and stick to them.
    It will be a good one for one of your short scenarios for task 4!

16. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

When I taught in the UK, I had huge amounts (I'm talking millions) of insurance cover both through the PEA (now AfPE) and individual sports associations according to which ones I was affiliated to.
    Litigation is only heading one way, so I would not be doing anything that I was qualified or insured for

install likes this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Doesn't it depend on what the 'PE' is. Supervising a game of footy or rounders is one thing. Coaching a rugby game or kids vaulting on boxes and climbing ropes and bars would be something else?

18. install

install Star commenter

At least its not ice hockey on a Friday afternoon :confused::

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Saw this today while looking for something else.
    https://www.stmichaelsaldbourne.co.uk/uncategorized/jolly-hockey-sticks/
    Not sure how they are supposed to get to that standard for year 5/6 if they aren't allowed to use a ball in year 4!
    Depends on your behaviour management I suppose...it's not something I've ever seen as an issue in primary schools.

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  20. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Google sports injury court cases uk and see how many maggots are advertising to take on your case

Years ago, there was a case where a young girl broke both wrists after stumbling when bowling at cricket
    Did you teach the correct technique?
    Yes
    Lesson plans had to be presented. It had been taught correctly
    And was she present on that day?.....

It's not just the "dangerous" sports; rounders bat let go and hits another kid, one kid kicks another kid (no shin pads), etc. These were all "accidents" in the good old days