1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

PE kit boys

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by lindascott, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Hello to all

I have a question to all PE teachers and other parents in this forum. My son will be attending a new primary school from September onwards. I am now in the middle of sorting out his uniform and have noticed that boys at his school have to do PE with no top on, just black shorts. What are the benefits of this rule and is that normal practice ?
    Thanks for your replies.

2. Hello to all

I have a question to all PE teachers and other parents in this forum. My son will be attending a new primary school from September onwards. I am now in the middle of sorting out his uniform and have noticed that boys at his school have to do PE with no top on, just black shorts. What are the benefits of this rule and is that normal practice ?
    Thanks for your replies.

3. i am sure this is wrong information somewhere along the line,, this isnt usual practice in any school!!!

please phone the school and query this

4. Well. I am pretty sure that there is no misunderstanding. Girls have to wear black leotards and boys black shorts with no top. There is even a photo in the school prospectus showing the different uniforms with a shirtless boy. I am a bit puzzled as to why this rule?

5. Unbelievable! I am a secondary head of PE and I can asure you that this is NOT normal practice in schools. I suggest you query this with the Headteacher. Playing in 'skins' as it used to be called went out years ago thank goodness.

6. This is unusual nowadays - but it still occasionally happens - and in my opinion is totally harmless.

7. I am a secondary head of PE and do not allow boys to partake without a shirt at all. I don't think boys should be made to do PE without a top. I would be furious if they did this at my sons school, it is entirely innapropriate.

8. Until recently - 3 or 4 years ago - I always asked the boys in my year 6 class to wear black shorts/bare feet only for PE/Dance - although I never insisted upon this - especially if they were slightly overweight. After the first lesson or so they usually accepted this and seemed to prefer wearing just shorts. Also, if one of the boys forgot his kit he didn't have to miss out because he could always borrow a pair of shorts from the spares box. It certainly made life much easier - you could tell at a glance that they had changed properly and weren't wearing school shirts or wearing vests underneath. It also meant that children weren't bringing expensive, designer label, or long-sleeved shirts to school for pe.
    I also remember quite a few programmes produced for Dfes/BBC during the 1990's that showed boys similarly dressed during PE lessons. It used to be quite common in primary schools.
    Having said this it seems to me now that those days have gone. With everyone suspicious about everybody else's motives and paedophiles apparently lurking under every bush and behind every wall you'd have to be silly to insist on this now. I also doubt that any school would publish a photograph in their prospectus of a boy wearing just a pair of shorts.

9. This seems weird. I'm sure that no school in my entire country (Australia) does this.

10. This topic has been discussed many times on this forum and always promotes a lengthy thread! Do a search and you'll find many different views. For 4/5 year olds to be barechested or in 'skins', isn't really a problem, but I don't suppose it would harm to ask the school why they have adopted this policy.
    1. https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...
    2. https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

11. Hi Lbenn4 !

What is the name of the school? I've heard of the tradition. It is not as common as it used to be but it seems there are still some schools which require boys being shirtless for P.E.
    It is mostly for health reasons I think.The another reason is that T-shirts can be quite dangerous for gymnastics restricting movements.(especially for apparatus....etc.)

12. Hi lbenn4. You cannot catch a cold by simply being cold. A cold is a virus, and if he is in the same area as a child who is transmitting the disease, he has exactly the same chance of catching it as if he was wearing a ski jacket.

13. I can remember the dread and nightmare of PE when I was at school in the 1970’s. We wore shorts and vest. Most of the time we played basketball and one half had to take their tops off to make the 2 teams look different etc. Sometimes we did it outside. I remember dreading the teacher saying the line he always began with when we were going outside “Its quite a nice day.......” I was not sporty and had some difficulty with co-ordination. I never generally touched the ball, I just followed it dunning after those who were playing. It was a humiliating waste of time.
    Trying to get the teacher to make exceptions for your son will just make it worse for him and if he does get to wear a top the kids will torment him. If you have picked a school that only wears shorts for PE just live with it.
    What you need is “regime change” Start lobbying vocally that no top is a “dinosaur” from the days of frequent child molestation. Go for other parents and the board of govenors.
    Concentrate on the unwholesome and perverted nature of making children play sport without a top. If prisoners in prison were made to do activities topless there would be an outcry and so on.
    There is a lot on the web about boys swimming nude in American schools up to the 1980’s. Lots of older people on these forums go on about how boys don’t need to wear anything to swim. But obviously that way of thinking would now be seen as perversion so thinking changes. Schools that think boys can do PE topless are still stuck on the path to modernise from the dark era.
    The best of luck.

14. I don't see why is it such a big deal being shirtless for P.E.Do boys have shirts in swimming lessons?What is the difference?
    I would like to know the name of the schools with the shirtless policy proving there are still some because I don't know any with such a rule.

15. I can't help wondering how much your poor son's fragility is factual or in your mind. If you want the school to make an exception you will advertise this "fragility" to all his classmates will the resulting consequences. It used to be the norm for boys to do PE shirtless and I really don't think it did any harm - as others have commented most boys prefer it that way and it is healthier and safer. Why are we becoming so over modest?