1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE incorporating The Olympics

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by gingercath, Apr 9, 2012.

1. As in a lot of schools we have been told to incorporate the Olympic theme into PE lessons, but I am not keen on doing really 'competitive' events, and I know that there is a time and place for that but I want to be more inclusive. Does anyone know where to go for ideas of inclusive games?

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

The Olympics should be about being the best you can be.
    Set up a track around the yard - pupils set themselves a target of laps. Complete several times over the course of a few weeks, pupils could even work out the lenght of one lap and work out their total distance. Award every pupil a certificate with their total distance, and highlight whether they have beaten their target. Award more for the top end - most laps / longest distance etc.
    I find it funny how schools are being told to incorporate the Olympics into PE, when it blatantly does that anyway. There is nothing wrong with being competitive in class, just as long as you make it clear that every pupil has different strenghts and excel in different events.
    The other way to incorporate the Olympics is 6 weeks of dance - Chariots of Fire, M People's Proud etc. But with summer coming, and excellent schemes like AVIVA athletics out there, get the kids outside and running / throwing / jumping.