1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE inclusion for physical disabilities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaw87, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hello,

I wondered if anyone has any ideas of where I could begin with my planning to include a child with severe global delay in my PE sessions. He is currently beginning to build strength when walking with a rollator frame and needs activities to improve grip, balance, and core muscle stability. Do I plan him in with the rest of the class for PE or have him carry out an individualized session with my TA at a different time? He is currently working with Pindora's Box on a daily basis. Any ideas for activities would be appreciated since I have some in mind but the more variety the better.

Thanks!

2. Hello,

I wondered if anyone has any ideas of where I could begin with my planning to include a child with severe global delay in my PE sessions. He is currently beginning to build strength when walking with a rollator frame and needs activities to improve grip, balance, and core muscle stability. Do I plan him in with the rest of the class for PE or have him carry out an individualized session with my TA at a different time? He is currently working with Pindora's Box on a daily basis. Any ideas for activities would be appreciated since I have some in mind but the more variety the better.

Thanks!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I use a carousel of activities once a week using gym ball, space hoppers, steps, balance boards etc. Some children can stay at a "station" if they are unable to access that particular activity or may have a special area for an activity specifically for their needs (with TA?). We also use foam balls to strengthen hand grip (wrap fingers around the ball so index finger touches thumb and hold for 60 seconds).

4. Hi,
    I always think that it is nice to include children with additional needs as much as possible within your lessons, however it is not always possible to do so!
    I have got a couple of ideas/ resources for you but not sure if they would be that relevant to your child and his needs.
    We have just purchased some 'jingle balls'- basically a ball with a bell inside! Even though they are aimed at children who have visual impairments I have used them with my whole class and they loved them. Each child was given an eyeshield so they could not see the ball and literally rolled the ball to each other whilst they were sat down. This meant that the children had to be quiet and raised their spacial awareness. I'm sure that this would be accessable for your pupil and means he can be involved with the rest of the class too.
    We have also got balloon balls which are great as you can blow them up to the required size. I find these good because if you don't blow them up to their full size it means there is still quite a bit of fabric around the ball. I have found these are great with improving a childs' grip as they can close their hand more to grasp the fabric.
    I went on a TOP Sportsability course that raised my awareness of inclusion within PE loads so you could always see if you could get any resources or ideas from them.
    Hope that helps!

5. It is always a noble ambition to include everyone. However, it is only ever practical to cater for the majority and try to include the minority when you can. I was on a course recently where the advice was not to plan any trip where everyone could not take part. Absolute politically correct madness.

6. Msz

Political Correctness or just common sense? ...It's a bit difficult to do follow up work from a visit if some children have been exluded due to disabilities

7. Although it is difficult to include all children at all times when they require so much more above and beyond the rest of the class, I do like to work on a good sense of community and include them where ever possible. I will include him as fully as we can in all sessions, bearing in mind his own targets and units being covered. We are starting with a dance and movement unit, followed by small equipment manipulation and skills. I will definately try the carousel system for the later unit.

Thank you for the ideas. We are really struggling on funding right now so won't be able to buy any more resources but those bell balls and balloon balls sounds great so will think about them next order time!

8. Msz

Depending on the child's physical difficulties it is quiet easy to include them in a dance activity /routine.
    Small equipment - rolling a ball to a partner or round a circle rather than throwing and catching if this is a problem. Throwing a bean bag at a target

9. Yes it would be.. But the principle given was that even though 29 children could go on the trip and 1 potentially couldn't, all 30 should miss out on account of the 1.

10. Msz

or alternatively look for a venue that meets the needs of all