1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pe in year 6 boys barechested

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by marshallb, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Can't be bothered to read 6 pages so sorry if this has been covered.

What do the boys wear for swimming? My kids' Speedos are certainly smaller than the shorts they have to wear for gymnastics and none of them have a problem

2. Where I am, any male teacher allowing shirtless physical education would swiftly be accused of unseemly intentions. Even if it was the school's policy to let them choose, I would always discourage it.

Not as a moral standpoint, but as professional security.

3. Well if it's the school policy to have boys participate in PE shirtless surely it is difficult to accuse anyone of any unseemly intentions.
    As I posted before, my son has to do PE this way and although I was quite sceptical at the beginning I have now come round to the idea.
    I any case, I can't see why there should be a problem with male teachers teaching shirtless boys PE.

4. I also think that men are probably more at ease to teach such classes as being shirtless conveys a certain Macho image which the boys pick up on very quickly.
    It is a very male environment which from my experience most boys seem to enjoy. However, it was certainly not my cup of tea teaching a group of shirtless year nine boys who are eager to impress and show off in front of the female sex.

5. I don't think boys should have a choice. If the school wants thenm shirtless then so be it. It's very necessary for them to be able to feel comfortable being shirtless. Parents need to stop being sissies and let these teachers teach. It may be degrading, embarrassing, unfair to girls but its just a double standard boys SHOULD be shirtless and women should not.

6. Starrichy - a breath of fresh air in this debate! There is far too much nonsense these days about boys attire especially for pe. Why do parents make a fuss about boys being shirtless in pe when they are shirtless in the swimming pool or on the beach where it is far more likely there will be perverts present - it just makes no sense at all. Health and safety, usually so important these days, seem to be forgotten in the quest to make boys cover up. Boys are not allowed to be boys these days and rickets is on the increase as sun exposure is on the decrease. We are doing our youngsters no favours with excessive prudishness and the encouragement of body shame.