1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE in Scotland

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by popey45, Jul 27, 2016.

1. popey45

popey45 New commenter

Hi All

My wife and I are looking to relocate with our children from Hertfordshire to the Scottish Highlands and I am keen to know a little more about the life of a PE teacher north of the border. I have been teaching PE for 10 years at the same school and have a wealth of middle-leader experience from both HoD and HoY perspectives. The location is quite open for us, but ideally locations within reach of the Cairngorms would tick all of our boxes.

My main questions are these: -
    • Is it more difficult for those qualified outside of Scotland to secure work?
    • Is it better to be registered with the GTCS before beginning application processes?
    • Are there many differences in the requirements on PE staff between the 2 locations? I already undertake the usual PE commitments with clubs, teams and fixtures, but do the arrangements for these differ much in the Highlands and surrounding areas?
    • What new sports might it be worth me getting under my belt to aid applications - I am aware that Shinty is pretty popular in some areas, along with potentially mountain biking and skiing depending on location too.
    I appreciate that this is a rather info-heavy request but any advice will be very gratefully received. This is a long-term project for us to complete our relocation.

Yours hopefully

Popey

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't know about PE specifically but my advice would be to contact the GTCS as soon as possible. Yes, you will need to be registered before you start applying. Unless a school is desperate for staff they will not usually shortlist candidates who are not GTCS registered. I hope you have a degree in PE and a PGCE/university based ITT qualification because other routes to teaching will not always be accepted here.

Look at the SQA website for details of PE exams and Education Scotland for the Health and Wellbeing CfE Experiences and Outcomes. This will give you an idea oaf the PE curriculum here.

Also be aware that if you want access to the Cairngorms, you're looking at areas outwith the Highlands too - Aberdeenshire, Moray, Perthshire, Fife etc. It might give you a few more schools to look at.

3. popey45

popey45 New commenter

Thank you very much Flere. I have been in touch with the GTCS for some basic queries but it is useful to know about the shortlisting process. I have a degree in Sport and Exercise Science and then a PGCE in PE so that should be all ok. Am more than happy to do whatever is required by way of topping up or improving my chances. .

I am looking in all of those areas as I know the Cairngorms is a very limited area for work, I am also aware that Moray are part of a pilot for employing teachers qualified outside of Scotland without the rigours of some of the qualification assessment processes so I am keeping a close eye on the area.

Thank you too for the pointers on the different resources to access, I know that it is a big shift so want to make sure I have looked into all of the different options and the nooks and crannies of the different specifications.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You're welcome. With a degree and PGCE in PE, you should have no problems getting registered with the GTCS - I'm not even sure the pilot scheme would apply to you!

Good luck.

5. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

If you are serious about moving, you need to apply to the GTCS soon. I moved to NE Scotland about 8 months ago. Even though I'm not looking for teaching jobs, I thought I'd join just in case. The form itself is fairly straightforward but they will take references and they require a module by module transcript of your bachelors and your PGCE. I didn't have these so had to write to my universities for them and waited a month for them to get back.
    After they've processed your form you'll have to fill in a PGV form which they send to you (similar to DBS) and this took a while to get through the system too. I applied in January and got accepted at the end of June. You have to pay £65 and they send you a shiny certificate.
    I'm primary, but looking at job ads, all of them want GTCS; can't say if that's the same for PE.......
    Hope this helps; I haven't regretted the move north. Good luck!
    PS: sorry if a version of this has posted twice; clumsy fingers!

6. popey45

popey45 New commenter

Hi Ezzie,

Thanks very much for the advice. I will root through my files to find the module information in advance. Where in the NE of Scotland are you now? I will be looking to leave plenty of time for my application to be on the safe side, with family the logistics are pretty big so want to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks again

7. Ezzie

I'm in Moray. My move up here was quite straightforward; I came up with my partner and my children are in uni back in England. They split their holiday time between me and their dad in England. It's a good place to live; a different pace and the coast is just stunning. Having said I wasn't looking for a teaching job, I've just applied for one, part time so I've obviously mellowed from the stressed, knackered person I was 8 months ago! Good luck with your move.

8. popey45

popey45 New commenter

Thanks Ezzie. Moray is one of the places on our radar so reassuring to know it is as beautiful as it looks. Also good to know that it wasn't too stressful a move either. Glad it is going well for you up there, good luck with the job application. I would be interested to know if the interview process differs to those south of the border.

9. Ezzie

I'll let you know, if I get to the interview stage. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.