1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PE game - PIRATES??! can you remember/help?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Gandalf1981, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Afternoon all. Just sat down to do some mind mapping for next term. I was thinking about PE games that would serve to give children a good introduction to and practice of the gym equipment we have in the hall.

Now, when I was a wee boy, many moons ago I remember playing a pe game I think was called pirates. We had the mats, the horse, the beams, the blocks etc out in a kind of assault course layout. We would then proceed to move around them with the "pirates" being "it" and trying to tag us. However, I can not remember if that is the actual name, and what the specific rules were.

Does anyone remember or use a similar activity that could help me?

2. Afternoon all. Just sat down to do some mind mapping for next term. I was thinking about PE games that would serve to give children a good introduction to and practice of the gym equipment we have in the hall.

Now, when I was a wee boy, many moons ago I remember playing a pe game I think was called pirates. We had the mats, the horse, the beams, the blocks etc out in a kind of assault course layout. We would then proceed to move around them with the "pirates" being "it" and trying to tag us. However, I can not remember if that is the actual name, and what the specific rules were.

Does anyone remember or use a similar activity that could help me?

3. "Pirates" as the game was commonly known as ( I'm not aware of any other name used to disguise this activity)has been outlawed from schools for some years in its' known form, due to the H&S aspect. Children dashing up beams, swinging round, leaping across others onto mats - great fun though it was - in no longer.
    BUT - that does not mean that you can't put something in it's place, but keeping things at a safe level ( ie the ground). Don't want you to be hauled over the coals from some parental complaint of injuries sustained from tripping over a box top / falling from a beam / slipping on a mat at full speed .
    Sorry to be a kiljoy, but not advisable. I can't even direct you to a particular book with Games in, as most of them are just passed down the generations of PE teachers / PE staff by word of mouth / observation.
    Happy Christmas.
    Shivilino

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Spread the mats around the hall. Have one or two pupils 'on'. Pupils must move from mat to mat, without falling in the shark infested custard (the hall floor). If they get caught by the pirate they must stand still, legs apart, arms by their side as if they are frozen. Any pupil still moving can now 'de-tig' them by tapping them on the shoulder and the process starts again.
    I never played it with equipment when I was at school - in the heat of the game I can see how having equipment would cause injuries!

5. Would that be because standing with their feet wide apart and being free'd by another crawling through their legs has also been outlawed - scraped knees and genital proximity presumably being the culprits.

I am so glad I teach 16 - 19 and am allowed to break them good and proper in training for rugby, netball etc.
    Bones broken: 1 fibula in pre-season training (day 2) - back in academy team 6 weeks later
    Thumb count since September: 2 dislocated, 3 shattered at the saddle joint and 1 simply bent beyond belief but will get better eventually!
    Fingers: 2 also bent beyind belief, nerve and ligament damage may be permanent
    Concussions: 1 brief outage and 6 weeks not training or competing; 2 real coup contras with hospitalisation and training bans and 3 too well hidden on the day to be dealth with properly, eyes kept peeled for after effects
    Knees: doing well this year 0 injured beyond scrapes
    ACLs = 0
    And we haven't even got to the busy end of the season yet!
    None of these kids blame the college, coaches or lecturers, not do their parents. I wonder how long this will be allowed to carry on??? I think we should change the rules of real sports to make sure our children don't get broken!

Register your sporting disgust here:
    sissyprissysports@complain4england.com

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

It probably has been outlawed!
    I would have them standing still with their legs apart so that they can learn about body tension. I would also have a partner standing at the side with a 49 point checklist on body tension, to ensure that the pupil is learning something during the warm up.
    I work mainly with Key Stage 2 - I have to abide by strict health and safety but fortunately when one does get injured, the parents are very understanding. In fact most are of the belief that a little injury does the child good and toughens them up!
    If one does get injured I do have to give a 5 minute talk at the start of the next lesson, and issue another 49 point checklist on how to stay safe when playing tig.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I'm undecided on whether I think Pirates is a good game benefits vs risk wise.
    I used to really enjoy it when I was at school.
    I wonder if there are any statistics from back in the 70's/80's which tell you how many accidents were caused and how serious they were.
    I recall it being the 70's/80's when it was 'banned'
    We still did cartwheel races then, too.
    Can anybody think of any other 'traditional' activites that have been banned?
    Oh yes - Murder ball;
    Rule 1 - no punching, gouging or kicking
    Rule 2 - no other rules
    I was still teaching that in the 80's (all boys state secondary school, NW of England)
    AAaaaaahhhhh, jumpers for goalposts blah blah blah those were the days [​IMG]

8. stopwatch

....... and when it snowed we went out for PE lessons and had a snowball fight.
    Not allowed now "There might be a stone inside the snowball which will hit someone" or "You'll take somebody's eye out with that"
    I've never heard of either of these things happening.[​IMG]

9. I loved Pirates at school, all the equipment out, swinging from the ropes to the beams, hooking your legs over them before doing a somersault, gate vault over the next and then the best bit the trampet in front of a full sized box, head spring, hand spring long arm. Those were the days.
    We called the game 'stuck in the mud' where you could crawl under people's legs to release them.

10. Stoppers, are you nuts?
    My God, if I had all the equipment out and allowed pirates to go ahead I would be cr4pping myself. The wall bars and ropes went 20 feet up. It makes my stomach turn now thinking of what could go wrong.
    We still play stuck in the mud - partly beacuse we are not under British law and beacuse I, perversely, find it very funny when a kid gets a clack in the cods.

11. stopwatch

Yep!!
    I don't 'do' Pirates, never have as a teacher, but as someone who really got a lot out of it when at school.......
    Isn't that new thing (Parquor? Free running?) essentially the same thing? I hear they teach that in some schools now.
    We do 'stuck in the mud too', I think that old 'genital area' argument is a load of b0wl0cks! [​IMG]

12. Wash your mouth out (should there be a purist around) [​IMG]
    Parcour - French. Originally a collaborative thing about travelling using architecture and street furniture between 1 Frenchamn and an Englishman.
    The Engishman was more of a gymnast and wanted to do tricks too, Frenchman was not in agreement.
    Englishman came home and 'invented' Free Running' same as Parcour but with street tricks!

Apparently they are very different philisophically and spiritually - I'll let you guess which holds the higher moral ground (so to speak)!

(I only know all of this cos I taught a boy who was best mates with Beast/G-Force, known to his mum as George Mayfield, local Urban Freeflow legend!)

13. I don't recall there ever being any major accidents when I was at school and we played Pirates at the end of every term.

14. Not exactly hard evidence that hundreds of kids didn't get badly hurt falling from a fair height. I would imagine that if 'John fell and broke his leg' it wouldn't have made the 'records' as such.
    Pirates wasn't banned because someone might get hurt - it got banned because they did. A lot.

15. Never saw one! Pobble, that is not a sensible survey and well you know it!
    But look at it with a hint of sanity and you know there must have been some big, big crashes. Hence, not allowed, anymore.
    Jackie3 - you will be out of a job soon. Not being nasty, but you are taking huge risks. Unions will go nowhere near you.
    Just use mats!

16. Stuck in the mud illegal? Since when? I've never known that. Good thing I mainly teach girls!
    Another alternative is toilet tag. That get caught, have to semi squat and hold their arm out and wait for someone to come 'flush' them to be set free.
    Little ones love it - primarily because they are toilets I suspect!

17. [​IMG]

With the best will in the world I cannot see why we legislate every possible experience out of our kids lives.
    How do we expect kids to evaluate personal risk if we do away with all experiences in which they could possibly learn that skill? I teach them at 16 and they are all convinced of their own invincibility. They cannot make sensible decisions about realatively simple risks, it seems!
    That and (I have no idea of your age, FP) no-one my age should be alive and in one piece if all that could have happened had happened!
    I have no broken or bent bones, nor does my sister or any cousins, now I think about it! And we all played Pirates, played at being Evel Knievel and Tarzan waaaaaaaaaaaaay before you could buy kiddy crash helmets etc. Now I think about it we were the early skateboard generation too!!

That has to be one of the saddest things I have read in ages! That I agree with your evaluation of Jackie's position only makes it worse!

18. Did all that and the only thing that has given me lasting pains has been my competitive sporting career. But Pirates must have been banned for good reason.
    And I was 14/15 around the first skateboard fad.
    Big blue helmet and everything.....

19. Now now, giggirl.
    You're in danger of talking sense [​IMG]

20. In your opinion, Pobbs!
    Another 'I didn't see anything' example.
    There must have been/have been shedloads of bad falls - just because we didn't see any..
    Perhaps if pirates was made a national/international sport, the risks would be considered allowable to re-introduce it.
    Just click on the smiley and you get a list of options
    [​IMG]