1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PCR-Covid test needed for Egypt

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by brownie1, Aug 7, 2020.

1. brownie1

brownie1 New commenter

As of today to gain entry to Cairo for employment a PCR test and certificate is needed. Any advice how to do this, I live in the North East UK.
    Many thanks

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

3. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

This only applies from 15th August. If you arrive earlier you don't need one. Our new staff arrived yesterday so they were able to avoid this. Are you already a resident in Egypt, as in are you returning for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th... year? Because then you are exempt.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

This decision — which will be implemented starting August 15 — applies only to foreigners who do not hold Egyptian citizenship, a statement from Egypt’s Ministry of Civil Aviation said.

There's a difference between having residency and having citizenship

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

So basically it's OK for Egyptians to bring COVID to Egypt, but nobody else.

Makes sense somewhere, I suppose.....

6. bigfatgit

Same with the AIDS tests....

7. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

@amysdad nothing makes sense here.

Tourists flying directly to the holiday resorts are also exempt from the test. It only takes one to bring it into Sharm/Hurghada whatsoever and all hell will break lose again.

But it's OK, our numbers have plummeted to a record low again. Don't think we are testing though, who knows...

8. brownie1

brownie1 New commenter

The problem that people are facing is getting the pcr test done and getting to Cairo within 72 hours. The private providers state a turnaround of 3 to 5 days for results. In addition, the certificate has two dates on it. The date of the test and the date of the result. This means it will be very difficult to meet the 72 hr window. Perhaps someone knows where it is possible in the time frame.

9. bigfatgit

10. joshuaronyy

joshuaronyy New commenter

I also looking for a good clinic in Wales

11. brownie1

brownie1 New commenter

To my knowledge all of the clinics say the same thing, but none will guarantee a turn around from time of test to getting evidence of results in the 72 hour time frame. The average cost of the test is about 150 as far as I know. I think some people have used the NHS system. This system is for people with symptoms or pre operation and not for job travel!
    I am sure people have their own views on this.

12. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Yes. It’s absolutely disgusting that people are lying on an application form and saying they are having symptoms in order to get a free test, which is guaranteed to arrive in the timeframe to get them back to their home destination. When they could pay £300 and not be guaranteed to get the test results in time.

I didn’t use the NHS test to get me back to Kuwait. Not at all. Never, Not me. The man in the car looked nothing like me. Honest!

13. brownie1

brownie1 New commenter

A rather strange reply!
    Personally I wouldn't abuse the NHS system and use it to get a test for going to work overseas. However, if people are happy to do that it is their choice.