1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PCET in Art and Design

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by josiejosie, Feb 21, 2011.

1. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Due to the possible removal of Art from the curriculum, do you think a prospective Art teacher would be wiser to train to teach post-compulsory now rather than Secondary?
    Since if it does go off the curriculum, the only jobs available will be to teach GCSE and A Level anyway?
    Thanks

2. I've been considering this too, but then the cuts to FE are fairly substantial as well. Is it possible to train in post-compulsory and top it up at a later date to include secondary? Or visa versa? At the moment, any way of hedging your bets seems like a good idea...

3. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly but there's also the Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

http://www.dtlls.co.uk/

4. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Is that for teaching adults? Yep probably a good idea too. There'll always be a demand for art teachers in some form, so all is not lost! Just that it may have to be in the private sector if the government deems our skills irrelevant and useless.

5. It's for FE I think. So foundation level I guess. I know that's how a few of the tutors on my course got to where they are. I had thought all these options through and thought Secondary was the most sensible option but now everything seems to have gone a bit awry!

6. darkness

darkness New commenter

Not sure what this is all in reference to, perhaps a link?

Art was never mandatory within schools anyway, in fact there are some secondary schools which provide no art at all, or music.

There is only an obligation to provide the core subjects anyway. Foundation ones have always been a choice.