1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PC issue....nnnnnngh!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Oct 17, 2019.

1. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

You don't get Edge with Windows 7 I don't think.

Glad you got it sorted, sbkrobson :)
    Well done that there Nomad :)

sbkrobson and nomad like this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No not previously, but it is imminent (apparently) for older builds. Since the middle of this year, Microsoft have been offering a preview version to download alongside updates, hence my speculation that OP’s problem and official update could be linked.

It is one of those programs that are sometimes attached as an add-on to a program we have deliberately downloaded but not unticked the additional install options. Glad you got it sorted.

sodalime likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed - always a good option to choose 'custom install' as then you see all the default adds on many program downloads include and you can untick them.

This is invariably where you find 'bing toolbar' and such and yes, this 'webdiscover' thing.

Another easy to use freeware help is C Cleaner. Go to 'tools' and it lists ever single piece of carp on your computer including the ones above - and you tick and uninstall.

sodalime and colpee like this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The C actually stands for carp, but I suspect they didn't use the word in full, due to the likelihood of it being interpreted as not a very good cleaner.

sodalime and dumpty like this.
  5. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Chromium is not dangerous. It's a chrome-like browser. Not sure why it would come with ppt though as I don't think it's anything to do with microsoft.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The OP first noticed it after a PPT update, but possible that was not its source.

sodalime and sbkrobson like this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

CCleaner has blotted its copybook by being a source of malware distribution itself in earlier releases, and for its current Spyware attributes (‘active monitoring’ is their preferred euphemism) which has been roundly criticised for the hypocritical approach to user privacy.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Did not know this, so good one.

Annoying as I have always found it helpful.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes, I remember either it, or another free software that was widely used was hacked at some point and became a source to spread malware by.

It's always going to be a potential problem if you download free stuff off the Interweb. Malware is tedious, but it's only an issue if you panic. My computing history goes back to the late 80s and I've always resolved any issues on the computers I owned myself. It would have been impossible to justify the cost of ownership of a computer if I wasn't able to.

I've never had a formal lesson in computing, but it's surprising how much it's possible to pick up as you go.

Basically computers are no different to any other form of technology if you take the the approach of "What one fool can do, another can."

It just about patience and common sense. If you can learn those qualities, anything that you need to resolve is possible. Trust me. I've salvaged a marriage that was once on the rocks and taught my wife how to use a computer without her forever asking why it isn't doing what she hoped it would.

Just patience and common sense.

sbkrobson likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah thank you.
    But not sorted in fact. A new chapter in the palaver is that I now discover an additional programme-this morning it's Seguarazo in my programme folder, which is resisting uninstallation,and appears to have dropped an H file into my Windows folder. Which I cannot remove. Would be interested to hear if this is familiar to anybody? Should I desist from even using the device until it is fixed?

Never had to put up with suspicious stuff on my laptop,I've always been very careful. I think it's time to pay my local PC fixer to sort this out as,despite DoY's insistence that you just need to sit and look at it carefully, I'm just not techie enough in vision, and don't want to make it worse:-(

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  11. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

This might help - it's anti-virus software, i think.

sbkrobson likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I’d not heard of Seguarazo, but googling doesn’t show anything hugely pernicious about it other than it can be difficult to uninstall.

Before you pay anyone try this:
    You are going to tell the computer to not start Seguarazo, and then try and unistall it with your computer in Safe mode - nothing dangerous

Click the Windows "Start" button and type "msconfig" in the search text box.

1) Click on MSConfig in the search results. This opens the System Configuration console.

Click the ‘Start Up’ tab and untick any box that has Seguarazo.

Save and shut down your computer

2). Press power on and repeatedly tap F8 (about once per second) until an option comes up to start in safe mode - click that

Windows will start but will be only running very basic functions with most programmes disabled.

- Try and uninstall
    -delete the H folder
    -delete any Seguarazo folder in programs folder

Restart and see how it is.
    [/QUOTE]

sbkrobson likes this.
  13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I must admit to being completely confused initially by this thread.
    I use Chromium as an alternative browser (I use Linux), it is an open source version of of Google Chrome and perfectly safe.

Having a quick look though shows that it is offered in adulterated versions through click bait offering to download an update and it is one of these versions you have probably received. These versions can do some pretty nasty sh1t including key logging to pinch passwords.

You do have to be very careful clicking on some links. You need to look very carefully to see exactly what it is you are going to do before clicking on the link. Even some legitimate software sites include unwanted software and less legitimate persons use a similar technique to trick you into downloading stuff like that described.