1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PC issue....nnnnnngh!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Oct 17, 2019.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Hi
    I've seen in the past some good trouble shooting for computer issues on here.
    I have inadvertently downloaded Chromium onto my laptop and I cannot get rid of it. It "happened" while I was installing a Power Point update.
    Any advice please?
    I have tried all sorts of trouble shooting, I've scanned, restored, uninstalled, sifted through hidden files-EVERYTHING, but the thing keeps coming back. It has removed all options to switch browser and neither can I reset default search engine. Also the functionality of web pages is altered, really hard to navigate and use multiple tabs. It is in fact driving me nuts.
    Any advice would be appreciated-I have such a busy schedule today with several deadlines, and it is really slowing me down-thank you!
    (I almost never get stressed, but this is really bugging me!)

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've used Revo uninstaller in the past to get rid of a software that the windows uninstaller wouldn't touch. It's free. I have no idea whether it's the best, but it worked for me.

sbkrobson likes this.
  4. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

It's possible to reset your PC to an earlier date and time, one that is prior to the accidental chromium install.
    Might be worth a try if normal means of uninstalling the software do not work.
    After performing an uninstall one also needs to check the Programs folder for any residual files associated with Chromium that have not yet been deleted. Do that, and reboot.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you-yes I ran a reset, didn't work. Undid it and ran from an earlier point, still did not work. I don't want to do it again-what if by running restores, I'm somehow making it worse?
    The problem with checking the programme list is that (apparently) Chromium files are often disguised-it's there definitely, heading my screen right now, but I cannot see where it is located on my computer. No longer obviously visible in Programmes, but I'll have a second look for anything odd.
    Pest.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you DoY
    OK-I haven't ever tried this sort of thing.
    I just went to read around it,and found this-

"Whichever option you pick, once it's complete you'll see a list of found registry entries to delete, followed by leftover files and folders – all of which can be removed with a quick click."

Can you tell me-
    Is it obvious from this list which registry entries I need to delete/residual files and folders?
    How do I know they are associated with Chromium?
    If I used Revo, or similar, do I then need to uninstall it?!

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

sounds like something pretending to be chromium but isnt (trojan). Have you tried running malwarebytes anti malware
    EDIT: run it with the rootkit scanning enabled. It will take longer but better to do this.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

After that download AdwCleaner and scan your computer with that. If it is a trojan it may have installed adware programs as well. This will clean these out.
    Save the log file that is created as this notes any registry keys or files that were removed, in case you need to restore something.

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

ok,maybe useful, let's see.

I think this is just for Windows 10, and I'm (lagging) still on Windows 7

nomad likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I would not recommend choosing registry deletion from a list if you do not know what the options or files actually are.

How did you get
    When you say ‘I was installing a PowerPoint update;” do you mean you were doing an Office or Windows update from your Microsoft installation? Or were you trying to update from an internet link? i.e, how do you know you were doing a genuine update?

sbkrobson likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you nomad
    Tada! That is it exactly! It describes everything I've seen to a T, how it looks and how it's behaving.
    I've done the diagnostic bit using Task Manager -it doesn't seem to be a nasty version, just a pesky one.
    However, I'm now down to the fourth method, and it's making me cross eyed.

Deadlines loom :-( Whole morning wasted.

I'm going for a walk-I wont achieve anything otherwise.

sodalime likes this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It was a legit install, or looked like it, from a Microsoft alert.
    I have it on auto update, but it misses that sometimes for whatever reason, so it did not seem "odd"

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As I recall it, it was all pretty straightforward. I trusted that Revo knew which files were associated with the problem software and had it remove them. It didn't affect anything else.

Yes, this is good advice as well.

sbkrobson likes this.
  17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

My other thought at the moment is that Microsoft’s new version of its Edge browser uses Chronium so possibly there could indeed be a link to their downloads. I’d need to research that though.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I just read something similar,I think it was reddit.

Happy news, now reinstated normal use of Chrome. I went for a walk and came back with fresh eyes. Easy to see, new programme plonked right at the end of my programme list "WebDiscover", which apparently is a hijacker browser. So I deleted it and all seems back to normal. Chromium is apparently known to kick start it somehow-there you go, that's as technical as my language gets! So glad to be rid of the thing, thank you all for all the good advice.

Not seeing this obviousness reminded me of the time I did a year 10 double lesson straddling lunchtime. In the first part I noticed the students were particularly "giggly" as if there were an unseen joke at my expense,but I couldn't fathom why. Best leave these things rather than react, no? But after my lunchtime marmite sandwich, and when they reconvened for the second part, there it was as plain as Gregg Wallace on a golf course-a sixth former previously unnoticed in the back row, in uniform, for a bet.

I digress-avoid Chromium if you can, it's a pest.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    colpee, nomad and FrankWolley like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Good to know that it is all back to normal.

I was going to offer to meet up with you over a pint and explain the process, but...
    ;)

sodalime and sbkrobson like this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

[​IMG]

sodalime and nomad like this.