1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PC counter to measure Internet usage

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dekka, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Don't know if this is any good at all. But hey what's to lose?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I've never tried anything like this as I am on unlimited.

2. Don't know if this is any good at all. But hey what's to lose?
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html
    I've never tried anything like this as I am on unlimited.
    Apologies for previous post. I had forgotten how useless the TES forum is - fancy requiring you to use HTML to format replies.

3. You could log onto your router's web page...it's usually 192.168.1.1 (but this varies from router to router.
    Once in you will be able to monitor your bandwidth usage.

4. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Dekka and Bauble.

Bauble, I've tried your path but it asks me for a password or somethng like that.

Dekka, I'm currently trying to install your gizmo but I want it in my systray or desktop and it's not giving me the option...

The "Destination folders" they are offering are:

- OS

- DWD Drive

- HP recovery

- Microsoft office

which one should I go for?

5. google the default password for your make of router. It is usually something like "admin" and "admin" or "password" and password" or a mixture of the two.

6. margie2

margie2 New commenter

OK, thanks, I'm in there (you were right,it is admin). Now what do I do, there are 4 options, Ive clicked on System Information but there are so many barbaric figures! I can't see one that indicates consumption. Could you advise me a simple Meter to measure broadband, I don't like to fiddle with the PC entrails.

7. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Bauble. I actually phoned Orange this morning to a) try to reduce cost of package (didn't work) b) ask what my Internet usage cap was. Turned out that there's no cap on my current package (13 £/month) so I don't need a meter to monitor my consumption. I still had a moan (erractic Livebox) and they've promised to send me a better one apparently, called Netgear. 1) Is it any better than Livebox? 2) Are these things simple to set up?

8. Netgear routers are highly rated. You should notice a difference if you site it in an elevated position away from solid/ metalic objects like fridges, microwaves etc.

9. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Bauble. And is the Netgear easy to set up? (I should receive it within 10 days)

(will I just have to disconnect my current Livebox, plug in new Netgear and bob your's uncle? or is there more to it? these things do terrify me!!!!!)

10. Assuming that you are just replacing the livebox wireless router with a netgear wirless router, it will just be case of unplugging one and plugging the other in.
    Your computer will note that the old wi-fi network (ie the livebox one) is no longer available and will detect the new (netgear) wi-fi network. It will ask you for a password (which will be provided in the netgear box)....enter the password and connect. Happy wi-fi..ing. :¬))