1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Payscale in independent

Discussion in 'Independent' started by noemie, Mar 7, 2011.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hi there!
    Just wondering if your school progresses through the payscale in the same way that the state system does, i.e. M1-M6 each year for the first six years, then UPS1-3 every two years? Or is the progression not as systematic where you work? I understand it's quite a personal question but would appreciate comments.

2. noemie

Hi there!
    Just wondering if your school progresses through the payscale in the same way that the state system does, i.e. M1-M6 each year for the first six years, then UPS1-3 every two years? Or is the progression not as systematic where you work? I understand it's quite a personal question but would appreciate comments.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Noemie - have you read the clickable on pay inside the Welcome thread?
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Noemie, as Theo says, it will vary a lot between schools, but if you want specific examples, my school (GSA/IAPS) follows the state pay system as you describe.

5. My HMI school pays State plus 6% and we go up the UPS scale every year rather than every two. Plus the Headmaster increases you a point from whichever scale you are on immediately on joining. Not sure about other schools butour numbers are strong every year and no financial worries.

6. noemie

Yes Theo, I had read it (though quite a while ago!), I guess I was just wondering if from experience people reading this thread might be willing to share what goes on in their schools, particularly in the current economic climate (for instance, has anyone experienced a recent pay freeze, etc).

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, always interesting to hear from other people and their experience.
    The only thing is . . . their experience is just that - theirs! It won't be in any way valid for your school, not even as a "Look what everyone else gets!". Your Bursar will not be moved by that.
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There was a time when some independent schools published their pay scales for all to see, but that is not normally the case today.
    In general terms, the three HMC schools in which I've worked each had their own scales, but they were fairly similar. Basically, the central spine started about 15% above what is now called M1, but included annual increments for something like 20 years, rather than six (plus adjustment for inflation). There were then larger increments after (I think) 25, 30 and 35 years' service (the intention being to retain good assistant teachers, rather than see them seek HoD posts elsewhere, as well as to bump up the pension entitlement).
    Everyone (apart from senior SMT) had the same salary scale, but there were many allowances (HoD, HoY, housemaster, games responsibilities, etc) that could be added to it along the way.

9. noemie

Thank you very much, that is very helpful.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not in contention...yet! I'm just rather inexperienced and don't want to make a fool out of myself when I do decide to go in for a chat.