1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Payscale drop ??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bowdie, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Before I went off on maternity leave I was on the M6 payscale, I have been out of teaching now for 4 years with the exception of doing some adult training for 6 months 2 years ago. Can I offer to go back on a lesser payscale say M3 in the hope that I get a job ?? As I wonder if the reason I am not getting offered jobs is because of pay?? Thankyou

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Simple answer no! This question crops up quite a lot-if you do a quick search you'll find lots of people wonder the same.
    Simply the unions won't wear it, so Heads don't like to consider it. Unless, of course with the rise of Academies. things will change?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, this is a strong possibility, although two other factors may also be important here: the time you have been away from the classroom (things move on), and the over-supply (AKA the glut) of unemployed teachers all applying for jobs.
    The nationally-agreed payscales, and the Burgundy Book for pay and conditions in general, have to be followed by maintained schools. The unions fought for many years to get this, and maintained schools may not offer you a job at a lower payscale.
    So you might be a school's first choice, but they cannot afford more than M3. You would be delighted to accept the job at M3, but they are not allowed to offer this. So they go for someone else instead.
    Daft isn't it?
    However, non-maintained schools, such as independent schools, Free schools and Academies may pay whatever they like, so you could certainly try that offer with them.
    But not with maintained schools.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars