1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PayRoll Confusions!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sedo, Apr 8, 2016.

1. sedo

sedo New commenter

hi,

I have had suffered from a lot of confusion and stress this year due to my payroll messing things up a few times.

I am an NQT (outer London) who has been given some control over certain IT things around the school. As a result of this, my lovely school has bumped my pay up from M1 to M3 in December informing me that the payroll would pay it as back-pay in December, then due to failure, in January. This of course did not happen and PayRoll did this as a one off payment on a random day.

My question is...

How much shall I be receiving per month as a teacher on M3 - without paying Tpensions in outer London?

I use the TES pay calculator Spreadsheet. It has worked for me give or take a few pounds when I was a trainee as well as with my M1.

When I was in M1 - not paying teacher's pension but LGPS one (I cannot afford it at the moment) - I received £1,705.

After bumping up to M3 which should be £1,895 according to calculator - I currently receive £1,825 only. No visible deductions or anything except tax and NI. Now, due to pay calculator being more or less spot on so far, this is confusing me a lot.

My tax code is the basic 10k one.

September to January back pay was also paid as £650 rather than £900 something due to difference between M1 and M3 over 5-6 months. My current pay seems to be like around M2 without TPensions, but on payslip it says SCP3.

I added some screenshots for further help..

With the childcare costs increasing for us next year, I am desperate for every penny to be honest.

Your help is much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 18.35.51.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 18.37.20.png

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

To be quite honest I cannot tell you. And I doubt if anyone else can either.

Calculating all this is very complicated. I note in your screenshot that you have 2015, by the way . . .

Sorry not to be of any more help.

Best wishes

3. sedo

sedo New commenter

Hi,

Thanks, yes I know it is a lo g shot but I have no idea where to ask for clarification, really.

2015 is for the tax year, so upto 2016 april, as far as Im concerned.

Thanks anyway.
    Let's see what comes up.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would try asking PayRoll how they are working it all out. they may have got it wrong!

I don't think that any calculator system can really do the sums properly for you, just an estimate.

And of course it is all based on the assumption - which may be incorrect - that under the new pay regime, your school uses the old pay points in their Pay Policy. M3 could mean anything, nowadays, since there are no national pay scales nor pay points.

Give PayRoll a try!

Best wishes

5. sedo

sedo New commenter

Thanks again.

Good point. My school uses the old system still, so that is why I was expecting the calculator to be spot on.

I will email payroll and see what they say.

Thank you

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Sep 15 is the most recent version of the pay calc, so if your school does use the old pay points that in theory should be more accurate. But that gives £1911.47 !
    Maybe your school has its own version of M3...

wanet likes this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Is it because your pay went up and thus you are now paying more tax because of the rise.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You should have a piece of paper telling you what your actual annual salary is. As pay points are no longer published officially, there is no former system to fall back on - we can only guess what M3 would be if it were continued. Your school pay policy should have it, and I would expect you to have been told it. Does it equate to the amount on the calculator? If not, there is your reason. Your school has to pay you what M3 is in their pay policy, not what somebody thinks it would be if it were still on a national scale.

wanet likes this.