1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paypal Help Please

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by humbug, Sep 18, 2020.

1. humbug

humbug New commenter

Long story, but someone has said she can't pay by bank transfer until next week, but can pay by Paypal today to secure her places. She has already had a fair amount of trial sessions.

I'm a bit wary of Paypal, but I know people think it is easy. What do you think? My understanding is that if I send her a link and the amount (as she is requesting), neither of us is protected unless I register as a business, which I should. Is it complicated to register as a business, and can I just send an invoice. My name is different on my Paypal account and I'm afraid they may think there is something strange and freeze the amount. Or should I just use my usual Paypal name?

It seems a lot of hassle, but I did ask her first for payment about 10 days ago. I don't really want to wait till next week, which would mean either giving her more free lessons, or stopping and interrupting the teaching while I wait for payment.

Also, how soon will the payment actually clear with Paypal.... because if it's a good few days.......

Not sure if I'm over complicating this or being sensibly cautious...?

2. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Yes, just tell her to send the money to your Paypal email. You can then decide at a later date whether to use a business account or your personal one. You can see the money arrive in your Paypal account, usually not that long after it has been sent. I use Revolut to receive money from my Paypal account. It is like a bank account on your mobile phone. This takes only minutes usually too to transfer. You can see the transaction once it arrives just like you can see the money arrive in your Paypal account. Send her a receipt later if you are going to do a business account.

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I've found PayPal is fine for transferring money to and from people.

4. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

I run a business and use PayPal as one of the prime methods of payment. They take a percentage, or charge the sender a percentage, so check that if you are concerned about a few pennies in the pound. Occasionally someone will try it on claiming they've not received the goods but that's very unlikely to happen in your situation I believe. I trust it.

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

She will be asked if it is personal or business. If she doesn't put business that leaves her breaking the rules of Paypal. If she does, you get less money.

6. humbug

humbug New commenter

Thank you for the answers here and sorry for my late reply.

It all worked out in the end. I said that if she paid via Paypal it would need to be a business transaction and I'd have to charge her any extra £10 to cover costs. So she paid.

useful points about transferring money back to my bank account and also more formally setting up a business account.

Thanks again.

7. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Sounds as if client paid by bank transfer in the end. However businesses cannot charge people extra for paying by credit card or paypal, it is now against the law and you would need to refund any charges to the customer.
    Businesses are supposed to factor this into their charges.
    FAQs from paypal website