1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Payment plan for students advice needed

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by melody1, May 31, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am a private tutor, and am finding it difficult to manage my students payments. They usually cancel 24 hours in advance, but sometimes on the day, and as they do not pay in advance I can't take the lesson's money off of them as a cancellation fee.
    Does anyone have any advice on students paying a few lessons in advance, or even 4 or 6 weeks, or know a way to cover yourself for cancellations with your students?

Thanks!

2. Hi,

I am a private tutor, and am finding it difficult to manage my students payments. They usually cancel 24 hours in advance, but sometimes on the day, and as they do not pay in advance I can't take the lesson's money off of them as a cancellation fee.
    Does anyone have any advice on students paying a few lessons in advance, or even 4 or 6 weeks, or know a way to cover yourself for cancellations with your students?

Thanks!

3. if i have the same one cancelling at short notice (say 3 strikes) then they are out - i make this clear to my clients

4. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

It's annoying when it happens all the time. You could try block bookings but then it might limit the work you get. Only way you can avoid this happening is if you work through an agency, which means less pay and agency fee. You'll eventually find clients who are reliable, and you just need to smile and get on with it. I've been tutoring for years and this year is the worst batch I've had as they are constantly canceling - but previous years I've had great clients and few cancellations. I can't perform miracles with the children when they cancel all the time, so it's their money they wish to flush away.