1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Payment in lieu of PPA

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by GTP-er, Feb 2, 2011.

1. I teach 4 days per week (0.8) and have been offered the opportunity to have my PPA time scheduled during my day 'off'. This would mean I receive pay for part of that day instead of time out of class during my 0.8.
    I'm happy to do this not least because I often use part of my day off for school work and because the parallel teacher and I plan together once a week after school.
    However, I can't work out how the pay should be calculated... presumably I would then be working something higher than 0.8 in order for the 10% PPA to be on top. Is it as simple as being paid 0.9 i.e. 0.8 plus a half-day (primary school - different issues than if I taught secondary)? The SBM isn't sure how to calculate it and although I've no doubt that she will come up with something perfectly accurate and acceptable, I'd like to have the figures straight myself first.
    Thank you!

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

You are entitled to 10% of your 0.8 which wouldn't quite be half a day (more like 2 1/2 hours). I know someone I used to work with did this so the school paid her for half a day and then 1 in every 5 weeks she worked the half a day in school doing various bits/cover to balance it out.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The obvious process would be to pay 0.88, since the 0.08 extra would be 10% of the 0.8.
    However, the precise method is to:
    *Count up the number of hours a normal full-time teacher is timetabled to teach or be on PPA (i.e. exclude breaks, assemblies, etc.)
    *Count up the number of hours you teach
    *Add on an extra 10% for PPA (i.e. if you now teach 18 hours a week, then the total would be 19.8). These extra hours are what you will need to be paid for on the fifth day.
    *Divide the number of your hours + PPA by the number of the full-timer's hours. This gives you the fractional amount.
    www.tesfaq.co.uk/pay/part-time-pay

4. Thank you both. I shall wait and see what the SBM suggests....