1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Payment in advance?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by rmaynard, Apr 4, 2012.

1. HI,

I am planning on starting private tutoring in a couple of weeks and was wondering what kind of arrangement people have for payment?

Do you ask for 6weeks, 10weeks, a term in advance?

Do you have a discount if people pay in for a big chunk in advance?

Do you have some sort of document/ agreement that parents sign?

Obviously I am new to this private tutoring game so any help would be great, thanks.

2. Ooooooh heavens - I can't say any of my clients would be happy about paying so far in advance - I get payment after each lesson - works for me
    Good luck in your venture - I love tutoring

3. Really?
    Do you find they are all reliable enough for this to happen?
    Do you have a policy if they cancel a lesson? or do you just not get paid?
    Thanks for your reply

4. Hi again. I have to say I have never had a problem with cancellations - a couple may have cancelled due to illness - but I fit them in on another day - perhaps I am just lucky to have really reliable people on my books - but I find that they are happy to pay after each lesson and it works well for me
    Good luck

5. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

If you have a toddler, then the flexibility of 'pay per session' might be better! Unless you have very reliable back up plans? I have two small children and have had to cancel a couple of students at short notice because of sudden illnesses in the kids ( and then me!!). I've not had any problems with students repeatedly cancelling in the 6 years I've been tutoring. Everyone gets ill now and then, and to show an understanding of that puts you in a better light in case you are the one having to cancel. I think that if you go about making stringent rules on paying up front and having a firm cancellation policy, you need to be bulletproof yourself!!

6. I ask that parents pay for four lessons in advance. I run a tution centre and the hire fees are payable a term in advance so it makes sense to ask for tutoring fees in advance. Logistically it would be complicated if every parent wanted to pay at the beginning or end of the session, when I am settling the children in. I offer a ten percent discount if ten weeks are paid for in advance.