1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paying for your own Supply teacher when sick

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2019.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Teachers paying for their own sick cover while they are ill?
    What an excellent and sensible idea. Every Right thinking school teacher will be and should be petitioning and indeed urging our own UK government to introduce this inspiring initiative into our own State funded education system. This would deter malingerers and in turn boost the educational achievement and successes of our own pupils and additionally free up capital to enable our own school children to benefit from the very best management skills of the world's most able business pioneers to run our state schools.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Teachers there should strike. All of them. Until this policy is changed...

4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I haven’t researched this, so I might be wrong but:

It seems to me that there is a direct correlation between how teachers are respected and treated, and how well the education system is seen to perform. Like us, a lot of teachers in the US are treated like rubbish and they have the same issues (like the effects of high-stake testing).

Yet places like Finland, where teachers are respected, come out on top of things like PISA.

So, it looks like -

No respect + not brilliant pay + high stake tests = low PISA
    Respect + not huge pay + no high stake testing = high PISA

It can’t be that difficult for politicians to see.

Not brilliantly worded because I’ve just got up, but I hope you get the idea.

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I think you missed out the first part of the causal chain
    ie
    Value education=value teachers=good working conditions etc= high PISA
    Little value for education =no valuing teachers=poor conditions etc.=poor PISA

6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Apart from being outrageous I did notice something else from the report.

"In San Francisco, where the cost of living is notoriously high, teachers make around $82,000 annually, US media report."

$82000 = £63000 (approx).

To earn that in the UK you need to be L18 on the leadership scale. Who in a school is on L18?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

How can a society think it's morally right to punish a teacher who gets cancer by having them pay for their own substitute? This is on top of the extensive medical care bills that this person will inevitably be facing. I'm glad they are considering changing their policies on this.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The BBC report says this has been the law there since 1976....

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

One word... UNBELIEVABLE!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I posted the link on an American teacher site I frequent. Expecting outrage all the replies I got regarded it as normal and what they would expect. A couple of replies thought it was fair! 10 days sick leave then pay stops seems to be the norm over there, not just in teaching. They were surprised when I told them how it works here. No wonder they need a teacher appreciation week!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Working conditions in the US are poor for everyone. The law doesn’t require paid holidays or sick pay. Each state does things differently. Most workers receive 10 days paid leave a year, which would make teachers holidays even more enviable. I would think the requirement to pay for your own cover is something to do with your insurance cover. It’s not until you read about individual cases that we can really understand the reality of being an employee in the US. As someone said earlier of lot of this stuff is seen as normal there so they don’t shout about it.

agathamorse likes this.