1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paying back maternity?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by bananacatdance, Jul 16, 2019.

1. bananacatdance

bananacatdance New commenter

Hi, not sure this is the right place to post this. I’m currently on maternity leave and my husband is interviewing for a job out of area to be closer to family. If he gets this job, we will have to relocate and I won’t be able to be like to return to my job. Does anyone know how I would be expected to repay my maternity leave? Would it be in one lump sum or a longer term option? Thank you in advance

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I suspect it may depend on the employer - I would give HR a call and talk to them about it. You might want to start putting money by in preparation - maybe you already have, as you mentioned the possibility of this happening last year. If not, you'll have to budget for it in alongside the costs of moving.
    (I wonder whether it's something a company would ever consider covering if they are offering relocation costs?)

3. bananacatdance

bananacatdance New commenter

Thank you for your reply and for remembering my last post! It’s a different job this time that he’s going for, the timing of the first one didn’t work out and with my now 6-month old I barely remember what I’d written!

Do you know if the schools hr team would tell my school or could I ask them in confidence?

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Is it a big enough organisation that you could ask the HR team anonymously over the phone? It would obviously depend on there being enough people on maternity leave in the schools they deal with that they couldn't just identify you from that. I'd hope they could deal with a confidential enquiry. If not, I wouldn't worry too much. If he gets the job, or another one before October, you won't ever be back there anyway. Not all schools are unpleasant to those who might be considering moving on, especially if it's "husband might have to relocate for his job" - they don't have to know it's more a matter of choice than necessity.