1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paying back maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jayminaphotos, Jul 2, 2020.

1. jayminaphotos

jayminaphotos New commenter

Hello All!

I have been in receipt of the 12 weeks half maternity pay, on the condition I will return to work for 13 weeks after my maternity leave ends.

Can I clarify that being off sick/on sick pay (after my maternity leave ends) will count towards returning to work for these '13 weeks'?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It does not seem to be clear in the Burgundy Book, assuming that is what is used in your school, but there is a paragraph which gives a clue.

The 13 week period (or part-time equivalent) starts from the date the teacher returns to work or the date during the school holiday on which the teacher is declared medically fit to be available to work.

This might be taken as suggesting that the teacher actually needs to appear at work if it is during term time, or be declared fit to work if is in the holiday. But that is just my interpretation, and may be wrong. Why not consult your union?

3. jayminaphotos

jayminaphotos New commenter

Thank you.

I have emailed my union and await their reply...
    I contacted HR who confirmed that school holidays and sick leave count towards the 13 weeks, however they didn't seem entirely confident in what they said! A lot of umming and aahing from their response ...which didn't fill me with confidence either.