1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paying back maternity pay - please help!!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Jun 26, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I see no reason why they shouldn't provide you with a breakdown - It seems odd to refuse that request. Many people neglect to observe that your employer can require the gross enhanced maternity paid back though - Indeed the NI contribution and pension payments made on your behalf were also part of the enhanced maternity provision while you remained fully employed with agreement to return - they are therefore entitled to that part of the enhanced provision paid back too.

2. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

Have you spoken to your union at regional level? I would hope they could help you. When my daughter had to repay money because she chose not to return from maternity leave (cleaner, not teacher) she spoke to County direct and arranged to repay them gradually by direct debit.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Unions have hardship funds that you might be able to access to meet your financial deadlines.
    You can also claim tax back before the end of a financial year by completing a form from the Inland revenue stating that you have ceased working and will not be working again in the tax year. However, it's more complicated when you have to factor in repayments to an employer and refunds from The TPS ETC.
    It might be worth a call to HR/Salaries at the LA too.

4. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

In my school we pay into a Maternity Service Level Agreement with the LA, even on the years when there are no maternity covers, and the LA then takes over the payment of salary for anyone on maternity. We pay the person who is covering the maternity leave. Meaning you would owe the money back to them not the school

My advice would be to phone your LA's HR team. But make sure you speak to someone who knows about teachers pay and conditions and the Burgundy book. In our LA all the HR teams from across the council are being merged into one, with the result that they sometimes give out the wrong advice!

Unless of course you're in an Academy, in which case I've no idea, sorry.

5. Thanks all for your help. I've resolved it - I'm paying back the
    salary and NI contributions which I can then claim back. It's a tricky
    business though - wish they'd warned me!