1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paying a cheque in

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Oct 13, 2018.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Husband received a cheque from Barclaycard - some kind of compensation re minimum payment ? ... anyhow no longer a branch of Barclays ( our bank ) in our village ... can we pay this in to any bank ( think only one still operating TSB / HSBC ? within walking distance ) We can travel to a Barclays so not a huge issue . Thanks ..

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You should be able to pay it into any bank at which your husband has an account. Otherwise there are various cheque cashing companies, but they charge a fee (usually around 4%).

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You should be able to pay it in at a Post Office. I presume you need to take your bank card with you.
    Our BAnk is closing in a few weeks and is the last one in our small town. We have been told that the Post Office will take our cheques and we can get cash from the local supermarket ATM.

minnie me likes this.
  4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I don't think it matters who issued the cheque, you can pay it in anywhere as long as the account name is who it's made out to.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

We paid a check into Lloyds recently using the Lloyds app. You scan the cheque using your phone into the app and they credit your account. Brilliant. Didn't have to drive 5 miles to nearest branch. Do Barclays do the same?

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I did that, too. It was a breakthrough indeed. The cheque had to be under £500 for some reason.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A what? What is this thing of which you speak? :confused:

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think it might !

9. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If you have a paying in book, fill out as necessary and post to your bank.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Money-laundering regulations.

catmother and Jamvic like this.
  11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

They'll be less cheques and poles around in future. I blame Virgin and OpenReach.

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You can do that with HSBC as well.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I remember getting a cheque last year and having to think rather hard about what one is supposed to do with such things. It's a bit like someone from my uni days whom I keep in touch with, and who doesn't have email or a mobile phone. Communication involves writing letters: where do you find stamps? Where is the post box? :eek::eek::eek:

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I love snail mail !

mothorchid likes this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Cheques. I remember them. Not seen one for years!

16. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

I blame Brexit and the stronger złoty

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Oddly, I use cheques myself very rarely, but in my new job since leaving teaching I am self-employed on one-off short contracts and I am frequently paid by cheque. I actually like popping into the bankto pay them in, but I live in a small town where the cashiers know who I am and greet me personally - and I still have a bank to pop into.

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

W e opt for our Premium bond winnings to paid via cheques - quite enjoy going in every month to pay them in! :)

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Every month??!

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

All except one this year... (but we do have a fair amount invested in them).