1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PAYE & self-employed problem

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by George1164, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I am receiving my teachers' pension and pay my tax on it as PAYE, with the a Tax Coding, etc. I have been offered some tutoring work, through an tuition centre but on a self-employed basis. Is it possible to do both? Could I keep my pension as PAYE and then just be self-employed for the tuition? I had an alarming conversation with HMRC about the issue (I hope we were talking at cross purposes), which went on about forming a limited company (blah)....solicitors......accountants....etc.
    There must be an easier way, as i would imagine people on here have been in the same situation. Could anyone point me in the right direction, please?

2. You can just fill in a tax return at the end of the year I think. I have my pension and then do supply through an agency. Not quite the same I know. Why not post this on the retirement forum, I'm sure someone there could give more details.

3. This year I have worked both PAYE and self employed. I just saw an accountant this week and he said you should only consider becoming limited company if earning 15k profit from self enjoyed work as it can be costly. You can be a sole trader, as suggested keep good records and put away enough potential tax from your earnings separately. You won't fill in a tax return though til a years time in January if you do it online (2014). My mum was also doing self employed when getting her pension but she had to become limited due to her contract with an organisation who would only give her work on that basis. You should also check things like public liability insurance etc. my self employed work is music based so I am a member of a musician union which gives such cover but you may need your own for tutoring as well as checking your home insurance if tutoring at home.

4. darkness

darkness New commenter

Go as a normal self employed. I would be wary of the limited company right now, I am reading some horrendous stories with regards to doing this and supply teaching or tutoring. Mainly concerns those who have been paying themselves through dividends, now being deemed as tax evasion.

I couldn't tell you about claiming the pension and self employed at the same time, all I can comment on is the self employed.