1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Payback Time!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Oss54, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Oss54

Oss54 New commenter

This is a story told to me which I will retell as closely as I can without revealing the people involved. Two fifty-something teachers at a primary school - I'll call them Mary and Jane. Both on UPS 1. These two women were the life-blood of their school. They ran a breakfast club, after-school club and sports teams after school, all for no payment. Mary gave 1 to 1 tuition for free also, for the year 6 children running up to SATS. Their lessons were innovative and well-planned and the school community adored them. They always received outstanding from Ofsted. Three years ago, a new, young, female Head was appointed. She made it clear to Mary and Jane that she didn't want them there any more. Their lessons were downgraded, they were constantly berated and told that they could no longer offer breakfast club, or after school care. The sports teams were given to other teachers who, actually, didn't want to coach them. Mary and Jane bided their time, because they knew that they were due an Ofsted inspection. They also knew that it was their Outstanding lessons which had always carried the school over the line to a 'Good' rating. Ofsted arrived and they had a ball - or more to the point, the kids had a ball! They taught the worst lessons they could possibly think of. They allowed the children to mess around, shout out, run around and generally play up. They asked closed questions and handed out worksheets- same one to the whole class regardless of ability. The school received Notice to Improve. Mary and Jane saw the year out and because of their local excellent reputation, were able to secure a shared job at a nearby struggling school where they have proceeded to put in place all the things they had done before. This school received a Good with Outstanding features which included the breakfast club they ran. Their old school? Now in Special Measures. The moral of this story, is 'Don't underestimate older, experienced teachers!'

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

LOL!!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Love it!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Fantastic.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Great

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A common occurrence. I have seen local schools where a young inexperienced Head arrives, changes everything and gets rid of experienced staff.

As a result a school that goes downhill! Will people never learn?

7. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Schadenfreude!
    Bit rough on all the innocent parties at school 1 though.

Rott Weiler and ValentinoRossi like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, we all ought to be standing up against bullies so maybe the worm will finally turn.

Alice K likes this.
  10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.

GLsghost likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If it would have been so easy to get jobs elsewhere why did they not just do that instead of some convoluted and unlikely "revenge"?
    I wouldn't employ any teacher who'd done something like that.

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Whilst I can understand the temptation to do something like that, I don't understand how people could actually carry it out. The impact on remaining friends and colleagues must be awful.

Not that I'm entirely convinced by the argument that an Ofsted grading judgement would be swung by the lessons of two teachers in the way described.

13. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Vindictive and unprofessional, if it's even true at all.

thenorris, zuba102, nomad and 5 others like this.
  14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It would also have been obvious to the head which teachers had done the awful lessons, so their references can't have been terribly good.

I'm not persuaded that this story is entirely true...

DYNAMO67, Shedman, eljefeb90 and 5 others like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They should have stayed and challenged the system. If it's true.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  16. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Chinny reckon.

17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I really hope it's not true.

nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  18. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Well, the idiot head got what she deserved, although I question how this will impact colleagues.

19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Interesting how this has split people down the middle! Part of me admires what these two did, yet as others have said, this will impact on other innocent colleagues. If I was to enact revenge, I would prefer to do it by means of seafood, backs of radiators and a Summer holiday................

wanet likes this.
  20. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I sort of agree, but then if those colleagues let it happen without a protest.