1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay

Discussion in 'Independent' started by bramblesarah, May 29, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hello,
    Long story short, I am an NQT Maths teacher. Did my teacher training 5 years ago but never finished my NQT year. I currently work as a tutor. I have been contacted by an agency in regards to a mat cover at a local private school. I went to the private school as a student. Whilst doing my training I went there for some experience to observe lessons the teachers said they were paid above the pay scale.
    When the agency rung me to confirm the phone interview. She very strongly said not to mention money and that I would only be paid to scale. She basically said if I mention pay I wouldn't get the job.
    I found this a little suspicious as I have read on here that some teachers have really been screwed over not pushing for a fair salary.
    Don't mind getting paid to scale but I don't want the agency charging the school a fortune and then paying me the minimum.
    Would love some advice. Many thanks.

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Who on earth goes to interview and doesn't have a clue about pay? Sounds like either the agency or the school are trying to screw you over. If you want the job - ask about pay. If they can't be transparent with you, or pay you a decent wage, I doubt you'll want it anyway. Good luck

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

The pay negotiation is with the agency in this situation, not with the school.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

An agency paying you to scale is pretty decent and makes a nice change.

Is the pay the agency are offering you an amount you are happy to accept? If it is, then take the post and enjoy it. If it isn't then negotiate with the agency and be prepared to pull out if you can't reach an agreement.

Though, a maternity cover post in a lovely school that allows you to complete you NQT year would have to be paying very, very poorly for you to be sensible to walk away.

bramblesarah likes this.
  5. bramblesarah

Yes thank you for the perspective. If the school chose to take me on after the Maternity comes to an end I can always negotiate with them. It is a lovely school staff have extra PPE, no silly expectations about after school classes, manageable workload, very experienced team to support me through my NQT year. Lovely students (mainly) with no behaviour issues. The hardest thing will be parents. Well resourced. You are correct I would be mad to turn in down as they are paying me to scale.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you'd be mad to turn it down if they were paying you slightly less to be honest!

Look through the threads on here about why people move to the independent sector. A fair number of us took a salary cut to move and yet it was still more than worth it.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it.

TheoGriff and bramblesarah like this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Check that they will put you through your NQT year - I think it can be a little different with independent schools.

8. bramblesarah

Thanks yes they have said they will. I got through the first round second round on friday.