1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by knightvic1, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hi, I am about to finish my second term on my NQT. I am wondering how my pay will change next year! I am currently on M1. Will i go up to M2 in January once I have completed my full 3 terms of NQT? or will I go to M2 in september 2012? or will I end up being on M1 for another year?
    Before starting this full time post for two terms, I worked as a supply for a year and as a teaching assistant for most of the first term of this school year!
    I hope someone can help!
    Thanx

2. Hi, I am about to finish my second term on my NQT. I am wondering how my pay will change next year! I am currently on M1. Will i go up to M2 in January once I have completed my full 3 terms of NQT? or will I go to M2 in september 2012? or will I end up being on M1 for another year?
    Before starting this full time post for two terms, I worked as a supply for a year and as a teaching assistant for most of the first term of this school year!
    I hope someone can help!
    Thanx

3. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I'm in the same position as you and as far as I am aware if you started in January you will have worked enough days to move up to M2 in September; pay only changes in September I thin, no other time of year.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

correct; assuming you have worked at least 1 day per week for 26 weeks in this academic year for a school (rather than supply agency)

5. If you were employed as a teaching assistant for a term I don't think that will count although I could be wrong.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

correct; it has no relevance to pay for teaching.
    In my post where I said "worked", I should have said "worked as a teacher" for clarity

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

If you have worked as a qualified teacher (whether full or part time) for 26 consecutive weeks, including holidays, then you will move to M2 in September, regardless of whether you've completed induction or not.
    So if you've done two terms of maternity cover, for example, and got two terms of induction under your belt, then you've had a break with no work before taking up another term's cover in September, you will move to M2, because you taught for 26 consecutive weeks in the previous academic year.
    You can also move up the payscale by working as a supply teacher. If you are with an agency and available for work for the same number of consecutive weeks, you can move up the payscale. Hmmm, I'm a bit fuzzy on that one actually, but the above two paragraphs are definitely acccurate. Can anyone confirm my last point for me?

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The bit about agencies is not right - supply done via an agency counts for nothing in LA payscale terms. If you work on supply direct for a school/LA, those days can count towards the 26 weeks: one day's work in a calendar week then gets that week counted.
    The other error is, I believe, that the 26 weeks do not have to be consecutive. So if you did a maternity cover in the autumn and another in the summer term, that would count, as would a term of supply plus sufficient supply-not-for-an-agency in other weeks of the year.