1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Kelloggs, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

I start a new temp post after Easter which ends at the end of July. I am not being paid supply rate so I believe that I should be paid in August - is this correct? Could somebody please clarify the situation? I was in a post from Sept until 31 Jan,, then I had no work, then I started a short term contract which lasted a term and I am being paid as supply as it was easier to arrange this than to set up a contract for a single term - this means that I get the full daily rate. Now I'm not sure how it will pan out for the end of the year!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As the post is temporary and fixed term ending at the end of july, then I don't think you can expect to be paid for August.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They can engage you on a fixed-term with end dates that do not correlate with the dates on a permamnet contract.
    It is up to you to decide if you want to negotiate the pay basis. If you stay on the fixed term mentioned, you will achieve only one week of holiday pay , at the half term, but will get paid if off sick.
    If you negotiate supply rate (make sure it's annual salary divided by 194 ... usually 195 but you benefit from the Royal Jubilee this year) you won't get sick pay but will earn the equivalent of 4 weeks of holiday pay as you get paid in the daily rate for one holiday day for each 3 days worked.
    A third option would be to negotiate 31st August as the end of the fixed term contract but that's unlikely to be accepted these days!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I could be completely wrong but I thought there was something in the pay and conditions doc that said teachers could not be paid les than 4 months pay for a full terms work. Thus they'd have to pay you til at least mid-August. I read that somewhere in here though. I started a fixed term temp contract for 2 terms in jan and my contracted end date is 31st August so I'll be paid over the summer (at least I assume so...)

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When it's covering for a permanent postholder on sick leave or ML, the cover teacher has a fixed term appointment thta has the proviso that their employment will end on the return of the postholder, usually with a week or two's notice.
    The postholder on ML will usually 'return to work' on the first day of a holiday period and the cover teacher's employment ends the day before that.